Problems with MacBook Pro crashing.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jwill99, Nov 17, 2013.

1. jwill99 macrumors member

I have a MacBook Pro (mid 2012) running Mountain Lion. Today I hooked an external monitor to it, a Samsung 24" LED HD. It worked great for about 20 minutes and then the screen started flashing on and off. I tried to restart my computer and a window came up to reinstall from backup, reinstall Lion, use disk first aide or a clean install. None were good choices. Yesterday I had bought a new external hard drive and had planned to set up time machine tonight, so no back up yet. I ran disk first aide and it found no problems on the HD, but the permissions were wrong on several files, mostly iTunes files. One however, was something in the systems files and it said that it would not be repaired. I am currently reinstalling the operating system and hoping that my files are not gone. I am now afraid to try hooking the monitor back up. Has anyone else had this kind of problem when using a Samsung monitor? I did not download anything during the short time that I was using the external monitor and only went to a couple of websites that I normally go to. Any suggestions on what might have caused the crash? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. jita1 macrumors newbie

Could be a firmware issue. Does it work ok without the external monitor connected to it?

3. jwill99 thread starter macrumors member

The computer worked great until about 20 minutes after I hooked the monitor to it and then the screen started going off and on so I tried to restart the computer. That is when the window giving the choices that I listed above, came up. Right now I am reinstalling Lion. It said that my files and data would still be there, so I am hoping that is true. I loved this new monitor, but I am afraid of crashing my computer again. How could I find out if it is a firmware issue?

4. jita1 macrumors newbie

5. jwill99 thread starter macrumors member

I have never heard of InsomniaT. I have tried reinstalling Lion 3 times now and it will get almost done and come up with an error and says that it can't install. I tried to start up in safe mode and it just keeps flashing between the Apple, a folder with a question mark and a circle with a flash on it. I do not have the monitor connected to my computer, but my computer is completely crashed. Any other suggestions. I appreciate you trying to help.