Problems with MacBook Pro-- freezing and problems booting up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by genrejrp, Aug 1, 2011.

1. genrejrp macrumors newbie

The last couple of weeks I've been having continuous problems with my MacBook Pro, rendering it useless for a majority of this time.
    It first started a few weeks ago when my MBP began freezing up while doing simple tasks. Eventually, it got to the point where I couldn't use it without having the spinning rainbow ball pop up every 5 seconds. One night, it got so frozen I had to force shut it down. When I tried to boot it back up, it would only load to the blue screen and never load all the way up to my desktop. At one point I left it open to load and 2 hours later it still hadn't moved. However, it would let me boot it up in safe mode. After looking on the internet for answers, I did a few things, such as repairing disk permissions, but still to no avail. Finally, I ended up reinstalling the operating system (Snow Leopard) and it would finally let me get to my desktop. However, it still was running slow and freezing constantly. I finally sucked it up and completely restored and erased everything. After using it for a few days, I thought my problem was fixed, but I was wrong. After another nasty freeze, I had to force quit it again and was now prompted with the same problem as before: it wouldn't turn on all of the way to my desktop. I figured if the restore didn't do it, it might have to do with a faulty hard drive. I told my dad about my problems and he went investigating, along with my brother. They did some diagnostics and checks on things (I don't know what exactly. I wasn't here when they did it) and disk utility said my hard drive was corrupt. My dad went ahead with the option to repair the disk, and after a few tries, it told him my hard drive had been repaired. After browsing on it for merely five minutes, we could tell the problem wasn't fixed. It was still lagging and freezing. They found another Mac user's story online where they had had similar problems and getting a new hard drive didn't help, but when they went into the accounts and made a new account, everything was fixed. They did this and it worked perfectly for about 2 days until now. Today I was having problems connecting to the internet and I restarted it (not forcing it off). It took awhile to boot up and when it finally came to, it was freezing again. Now this is where we are.

We're kind of all at a loss what to do now. I don't want to get a new hard drive if that's not the issue. My brother has a MacBook from 2007 and his hard drive failed and this is nothing like when his did. Even if my hard drive isn't making noises, could it be the culprit?

I hope someone can help me. It's been a very frustrating ordeal, as my laptop is only a little over a year old. I'm sorry for the length, but it's been a lengthy journey!

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Do you have an external drive you could install the OS on? If you do and the MBP doesn't have the problem while booted from it then I'd bet on the HDD.

3. genrejrp thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I don't have an external hard drive to test.
    We've tried to run the hard drive diagnostics test on two separate occasions (first using the standard test, then trying the more in-depth one) and both times, it'll get up to the point where it's almost done and then it won't go any farther. Could that alone be proving something is off with the hard drive? I would think it'd say it was faulty if it couldn't complete the test, but who knows.

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

What you have done pretty much rules out a software problem. Which leaves hardware. Looks like a trip to the Apple Store is in order. You say it is only a little over a year old. AppleCare? You should really have an external for backup too.

5. genrejrp thread starter macrumors newbie

The closest Apple Store is a bit of a drive away, but I think I'll be making an appointment for this weekend. I'm about 2 months outside of my Apple Care unfortunately.