Problems with Macbook to TV connection!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fagan89, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Fagan89 macrumors newbie

Hi its probably something basic but I have no experience connecting to a TV!
    I have just bought the mini-dvi to dvi and a dvi to hdmi cable for my macbook as I seen was advised in a few posts on this site!
    I have just connected it to my tv and when going onto the Display preferences I have found that the laptop seems to be picking up the TV but there is no actual image appearing on the TV at all!
    I have a Sony Bravia KDL-32V4000 if thats important at all any help is much appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

What resolution are you trying to output?

Also, some TV's prefer DVI signal to be input via a certain HDMI port, it'll usually be labeled as such "HDMI1/DVI" for instance on my Samsung.

3. Fagan89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have it on the 1920 x 1080 setting Im starting to get suspicions that it is due to the HDMI to DVI cable it only has 18 pins instead of the usual 27 they arent missing it was just like that when purchased im getting tempted to just attach my laptop via the VGA slot as its getting me annoyed at the moment haha! Thanks!

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Does it look like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DVI_Connector.jpg?

If so, that's a single link DVI-D cable, which should be fine for this application. The middle pins you're "missing" are only needed for dual-link setups which is for resolutions greater than 1900x1200.

5. Fagan89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is that one I have done everything I have been told and can do and have decided to buy another DVI to HDMI cable which has the full 27 pins to give it a try if that fails then I'm just going with the VGA input! 1920 x 1080 thats the resolution im running on for my tv as the basic setting Thanks!

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

With the VGA connection, you may not be able to go 1920x1080 anyways...

On my Samsung, it's limited to 1366x768 over VGA so watch out for that limitation too!