Problems with Magic Mouse 2?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by effedupstories, Nov 27, 2015.

1. effedupstories macrumors member

effedupstories

Hi,

I bought the newest 5k iMac which comes with the new Magic Mouse 2. It worked fine for the first 2 weeks or so, and then one day it started losing connection randomly, but would quickly reconnect. This was fine until a few days later when it would only connect if the mouse was directly under the screen, and I could only scroll up or down, very slowly. I followed the trouble shooting on the website, unplugged all of the USB devices, unplugged the system for a bit, reconnected, same problem. Tried restarted several times, removing the mouse from the bluetooth devices, re-synced it, same problem.

So I called Apple, they sent me a replacement which I got today, worked great for 15 minutes, and now I'm having the same problem. What makes it really strange, is that the apple keyboard that came with my system has no problems, and even stranger, my previous magic mouse 1 works perfectly fine. The only bluetooth devices to have problems were the 2 new Magic Mouse 2's.

Does anyone else have this problem? Could I have been unlucky enough to get 2 defective mice?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Call AppleCare, you have free coverage for 90 days.

3. effedupstories thread starter macrumors member

effedupstories

I did; that's how I got my first replacement. I did call again though and they wanted to do another replacement, but I told them to give me the weekend to tinker with it. I just can't imagine getting 2 defective mice, but my magic mouse one and new apple keyboard works fine with no drop outs over bluetooth. I was curious if anyone else had this problem with the new magic mouse, or knew if it was a software issue or something.

4. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

No problems with mine. I had an original Magic Mouse (probably 3-4 years old) that started dropping out. The MM2 has not done that a single time.

5. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

I have that problem with my original magic mouse. Took it into apple genius and they concluded it was the software install. I eventally gave up and bought a logitech mouse as reloading the mac OS is just a pain to do 3-4 times a week as it just doesn't want to install correctly. ZERO faith in Apple making a decent product since Steve died and Tim took over.

6. MetalCores macrumors regular

MetalCores

Haven't had this issue but it is weird that 2 of them would have the same issue but the keyboard doesn't both being Bluetooth. Does seem like a software thing, Do you have a backup? You could re install the OS and try it again and then just restore your backup so you don't loose anything.