Problems with Mail

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Tech198, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all

Sometimes, I'm use Mail to connect to IMAP account.

Thing is, its only an issue using IMAP from my ISP, not with Gmail.... so the problem must be the ISP. Because POP works fine.

The problem stems from the fact that sometimes it happens, usually, that the IMAP server doesn't respond, Mail prompted the user to enter password via a popup prompted (Attached).

No mater what I do, it keep coming up from time to time. ISP saying this is an Apple issue, but i think otherwise. I tried over both SSL and 143 to no solution.

Even removing it from keychain, it looks like the only workaround, but it doesn't take long for the popup to come back.

Also "Remember this password" checkbox doesn't do anything either, as it keeps coming up... Again its not all IMAP, its only my ISP. which must suggest its due to my ISP, as Gmail users IMAP and connects fine all the time with Mail.

ANy suggestions apart from using POP ?

Attached Files:

2. Tech198, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Update

Update.

I've been on the phone to ISP, and did the Telnet commend, even testing this with outlook removing and re-adding mail account didn't help, also i'm coming closer to the problem.

I've traced the connection error down to the fact this "only" happens just after sending an email out using IMAP. Where as checking emails, the time is random.

In all cases, Telnet passed,,,, meaning from the ISP's perspective anyway, its a client issue ..... But all mail clients ?

How can that be.

He's another screenshot from Apple mail showing everything is now again ok.

Between these two screenshots were takin, nothing was altered in keychain or accounts in apple mail.. The only thing i was testing this was in Windows.

One other point... it may have been a "at a split second" kind of thing. but running the test in Outlook in Windows I also had Apple Mail open. Just after sending via Outlook, I receive the test mail via Apple Mail (noticed the badge icon), but NOT in Outlook. Again client issue ?? Maybe, but it does come though eventually, so i would think this was just "at the time" kind of thing.

I've got Windows 2003 server and Exchange 2007 on CD and Office 2007, so I may actually set this up on my local network (within VM's) just to test, as i would really like to know why this doesn't happen with Gmail.

Update #2.. I think i slipped up one place though.. Not sure, but when i do the Telnet test, must I test on the troubled port ?

Eg. Since I send a test, then check and it fails.... should I be checking the receiving port (via Telnet), not the sending port? If so, this could be the solution.

Attached Files:

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Problem solved.

For anyone having the same issue: this is a fix

Close Mail, Click on Go and Hold down OPION key as you as you click Library

Head to Preferences folder. Search for (and Trash) the following:-

.com.apple.mail.plist

Restart Mail. All customisation would be reverted back to defaults, so you'll have to set this up again in Preferences of Mail, but everything else will be intact, and IMAP accounts previously having issues, will now work fine.

4. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

doesn't always work

Th above doesn't always work ..

Any other solutions to this problem?