Problems with Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by owen-b, Aug 19, 2009.

1. owen-b macrumors 6502a

So many, where to begin?

First of all, it's set up with IMAP Gmail and if I quit and restart it, it syncs with Gmails servers and respects what I've read, deleted and sent from other places (such as my iPhone), but won't do that while the application is open. If I leave it open all the time, it never updates. What up wit' dat?

Secondly, I've emptied out the Inbox into another mailbox called 'Old Unsorted' which I'm filing away bit by bit, so that the Inbox could remain fairly empty most of the time, ideally to speed it up a bit. But when I open the application, and indeed even when it's sitting idle, the title at the top of the window says "Inbox (4294956420 messages)" when in fact there's about 7 in there. If I delete one, the total goes down by 1, so what's going on?

Also it rarely ever BINGs when I get new Mail these days. Occasionally it does, but not often.

System is totally up to date, Software Update-wise.

Cheers,
    Owen

2. Queso macrumors G4

Have you adjusted the general preferences "Check for new mail" time? Sometimes if the setting has become corrupted in the .prefs file that can kick it back into action.

3. owen-b thread starter macrumors 6502a

But it still downloads mail from Gmail no problem. it's the fact that when I come home after having checked Gmail using my iPhone or online or whatever, Apple Mail on my iMac has collected all the new mail for the day as it should but doesn't show any of it as read or deleted or whatever.

I've changed the frequency from 1 minute to 5 minutes anyway to see if it changes anything.

Any ideas about the notification sounds not working properly? That's been the case for over a year now. No updates fixed it, ever.

4. Queso macrumors G4

It does sound like Mail's .prefs file is corrupted. With most programs you can just delete the file and restart, but I'd be careful doing that with mail without first taking extensive notes of your configuration. Although your mail is all safe up on Google's servers you could have to re-enter all the configuration and re-sync.