Problems with MATSHITA DVD-R Double and DVD Dual layer writing.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmt, Jun 9, 2011.

1. dmt macrumors newbie

Hello everybody I have (see bottom) superdrive, I use Toast Titanium, but I can't write DVD double layer and I can't write DVD Dual layer. I tryied laser cleaner, after that nothing happens. It's not possible to write any DVD-Double or DVD-Dual layer. Where is the problem? Please Help me with that. Thanks.

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E:

Firmware Revision: ZA0E
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO

2. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Is it failing with an error or just not burning? It could be a faulty drive, take it to Apple and have them replace it.

If the burn fails it can be the drive especially if it's not doing DL like it should be capable of. Media only will fail if its copy-protected / encrypted. My guess is he is trying to copy something he owns or created that's failing. If not let us know what you're trying to copy, if you can't say make something up so we get an idea of what we're working with.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Are you using Memorex DVD-DL?
    I have never been able to successfully write a dual layer DVD with that brand. They a different one.

5. frogger2020 macrumors regular

I feel that the superdrives that come with the macbook pro are of poor quality. I replaced the drive 3 times on my last macbook pro and once already with a 2011 macbook pro. Luckily the genius was able to replace them same day for all. I don't use the drive that much, occasionally burning photo dvds, so my replacement rate is disturbing.

6. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

I have noticed across the board that optical drives tend to fail a lot on all computers, even desktops.

As for media problems you should stay away from Sony, I have had issues with theirs and all I get from there customer service is that they can not support them if you are not using them with a Sony product. Only other time I had an issue with media it was with HP media who after a phone call sent me a 5 pack of Memorex disks (Imation who is contracted to make disks for HP among other owns Memorex) to make up for the one bad one.

7. dmt, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

dmt thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello again when I trying to write DVD+R DL I got this:

The disc can’t be burned, because the device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media.

With another brand of DVD+R DL

It tries to write and it's stucks on session. Nothing happens Just stops.

With DVD Dual Sided

It's throws away automatically

With toast Writing it shows sense error.

P.S. Simple DVD+R 4,7 GB writes without problem

8. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

sounds like the drive is bad - it probably cannot properly adjust for a DL disk; since it can for a SL my guess is something has gone physically wrong with the drive. I'd take it to an Apple Store and have them check it out.