Problems with MBP 13" Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MasterChief, Jul 5, 2009.

1. MasterChief macrumors member

I just got my 13" 2.53 MBP 2 weeks ago and I love it. I recently noticed however after I charge it and the battery meter reads 100%, the time remaining only says 3:55...

my understanding is the battery is supposed to last up to 7 hours...and I understand they F with the numbers so I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like 6 hours...but I'm not even getting 4 hours here...wtf? I use it a lot but its only been two weeks and its not like I'm using it more than 6 hours a day.

Is my battery faulty? I can go to an apple store today and i have apple care.

(also on a side note if anyone knows how to check what kind of screen you have, please let me know, if mine is one of the bad ones, it will be another reason to go to the apple store)

2. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

You may want to try a quick battery check using coconut battery.

...The lithium-ion polymer in your MBP should definitely be more than 4 hours. I have a uni MB and the battery life you're describing is closer to mine... :(

CrackBookPro:cool:
    p.s. You have the laptop I want, but I can't complain with my uni MB right now...Do you like it, besides the battery issue?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Battery consumption depends on your CPU usage.
    Have a look at the Activity Monitor (don't forget to show all processes) and see how much CPU you're are using.

For finding out what screen you have: System Preferences > Displays > Color > Open Profile > row "13" (tag "mmod") > Model.

4. MasterChief thread starter macrumors member

I absolutely LOVE it. I originally had the uniMB but when these came out i just brought mine back and got this one. I've had no issues besides this battery thing...its awesome.

5. MasterChief thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! :)

and I'm not using it for much besides internet browsing and ichat maybe 30 mins...oh and itunes is always on...but that doesnt seem like much....does it?

6. suekitch macrumors regular

Have you calibrated the battery yet?

Are you using AirPort? Bluetooth?

It's not, in my experience, 7 hours whilst having everything switched on with screen and keyboard illumination maxed. I got that figure by having my brightness about two thirds up with the keyboard illumination down, bluetooth off, airport on and using the internet/word processing.

Oh, and I had also calibrated it!

7. MasterChief thread starter macrumors member

nope, I haven't...how should I do that? (sorry im new...from windows)

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Actually it can matter a lot if you're playing music, especially through the built-in speakers.

9. suekitch macrumors regular

10. MasterChief thread starter macrumors member

yea but its only for like 30 mins to an hour max...the main thing is internet browsing and use of google videos a lot too....

11. Dpo33 macrumors newbie

hmmm i guess when i did my battery test i kinda calibrated it maybe since i ran it till it was dry like completely dry lol. But is your battery just saying like 3 hours? can you run it for like 4 hours just the batterys just telling you a wrong length of time its got left on the battery?

12. scarboni21 macrumors regular

Thats the reason your getting less than 7. they test it for seven by doing light internet browsing and word processing. The videos tax your computer pretty good and 4 hours is pretty solid if your do things like that.

13. ..Ryan.. macrumors member

the battery time will also depend on what brightness setting your using, and the keyboard backlight, as well as reasons listed above.