Problems with Microsoft Word 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by burdekin, May 27, 2015.

1. burdekin macrumors member

I have late 2010 MacBook Pro which i use for University studies. I am finding sometimes that Word 2011 is very slow to respond to commands such as deleting a word or cut and paste. As i am a student i do not want to replace a machine which is otherwise working well. Would replacing the existing hard drive with an SSD be the best way to go. If so what brand is the best for me to get installed. I live in Australia and will go through an authored Mac service agent. The details of my machine are as follows: OSX 10.10.3 MacBook Pro 15 inch Mid 2010 2.4 Ghz i5 4GB 1067 DDR3 Ram. It has not had any upgraded hardware since it was purchased. I would like to keep this machine as it has been really good to me so far as i really only do word documents and go on the net to access my university files etc. Thank You.

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

A SSD is one of the best upgrades you can make to improve performance. However it is worthwhile to see if there are other factors affecting your performance. First stop is to run Activity Monitor when you're running your normal workflow. Check the memory performance and make sure memory pressure is in the green. If yellow or red then a memory upgrade is needed.

I've installed 2 Samsung SSDs and have been very pleased with the performance. Mine were the 840 Pro but the newer 850 Evo is more than adequate for your needs.

3. xsquid macrumors regular

xsquid

+1 I have a mac mini that I put an 850 evo in and it's a completely new machine. Seriously it's 1000% better. Memory is a nice upgrade, but an evo will make a world of difference.