Problems with Migration Assistant - Need Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wez99950, Oct 1, 2009.

1. wez99950 macrumors member

I've never used this application before and am completely useless with computers so really am looking for advice!
    I recently purchases a mbp and today was trying to transfer my itunes, photos etc from my old ibook g4. I tried using migration assistant using a wireless connection as i didn't have a firewire cable.
    I entered in all the required information clicked the correct buttons but then i got to a point where it asked on the new laptop to click on the files i wished to migrate. Nothing came up on the old laptop. I clicked continue thinking that it was simply saying that this was where the files were going to go. I then had to change the account name as they were both the same (didn't really understand this step). It then said on both laptops that it was going to take 6 hours to migrate! I hadn't selected anything from the old laptop so i feared that it was going to transfer all my stuff onto the old laptop so i quickly exited.
    Did i do something wrong? I clicked the correct transfer 'to a new mac' and from this mac' buttons on the right laptops so i really am confused. Or was what i did right?!
    Does it usually take 6 hours and THEN you pick what to transfer??
    Any advice would be really really appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

If it's an older mac transferring to a newer intel mac, you shouldn't use migration assistant.

I hear there can be a lot of problems going from different architecture (from PowerPC to Intel).

If you can still access files, I would transfer them another way. Copy then to a disc, connect the 2 with an Ethernet wire, find a way to transfer the files. Once on the new mac, set up your settings there.

Migrating from an intel mac to another intel in the future shouldn't be so difficult, but there still could be issues if you go from 32-bit to 64-bit operating systems.