Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
I have a sony Tv that is 720p and i plugged my mini into it using a DVI to HDMI
and its great for watching dvd's, but when i'm on the desktop it dosent fit on the screen, the dock is off the screen on the bottom and the menu bar is off the top,
i can access the dock, when i arrow down the icons pop up. but i cant get the menu bar to show,
what can i do to get this to work?

kermit4161

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2006
I have a sony Tv that is 720p and i plugged my mini into it using a DVI to HDMI
and its great for watching dvd's, but when i'm on the desktop it dosent fit on the screen, the dock is off the screen on the bottom and the menu bar is off the top,
i can access the dock, when i arrow down the icons pop up. but i cant get the menu bar to show,
what can i do to get this to work?

What is the native resolution of your TV?

Go into System Prefs>Displays (this is for Leopard) and click on the Detect Displays. Get as close to your native display as possible, without going too big (if it is off the screen... too big... Mine is set for 1360x768). If the closest resolution is too small (slightly), click on the Options Tab and then Overscan box. This should fill in your screen just right.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
What is the native resolution of your TV?

Go into System Prefs>Displays (this is for Leopard) and click on the Detect Displays. Get as close to your native display as possible, without going too big (if it is off the screen... too big... Mine is set for 1360x768). If the closest resolution is too small (slightly), click on the Options Tab and then Overscan box. This should fill in your screen just right.

i dont have leopard yet, and i dont think i have options like that in tiger.
I'll check that again when i get home.... maybe i should just upgrade :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.