Problems with Mobile NY Times

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoFreek, Oct 1, 2008.

1. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

OK, here's a strange one. The NY Times has a great mobile device-oriented website at http://mobile.nytimes.com, which renders in iSafari perfectly for me when I'm on WiFi. When connected via EDGE or 3G, however, the site will not render properly; I just get a screen of error messages. My phone is a German iPhone with a T-Mobile Germany account.

Two questions:

1) is anyone else having this problem, with this site or any others?

2) any ideas on what might be causing this, and how it might be fixed?

One other comment--in searching for alternatives, I have looked at the NY Times reader app in the App Store, but all the complaints about it are justified, and IMO it is not ready for prime time.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Works okay for me on AT&T. I too, like the mobile NY Times site.

There might be some sort of routing or even blocking issue with T-Mobile Germany. You might want to call their customer support and ask them about it.

I totally agree. NY Times would have done better to release an "app" that just repackaged the mobile site. Their current app just doesn't cut it.

That said though: does the app actually load news stories on your iPhone when not on WiFi?

3. VideoFreek thread starter macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Yes, it does. But one of the problems with the app is that even when you "pre-load" it with the day's stories over WiFi, when you access the app while on EDGE/3G it continuously accesses the internet and chews up battery life. Their suggested workaround is to switch to airplane mode, which is BS (I have to switch off my phone to read the news??!!).