Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lisamel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Hi!
My sister recently moved from Norway to Hawaii to study. She bought a Nokia mobile phone when she got there and got a T-Mobile contract. She can send text messages to her family but she isnt getting the replies.
Except from when I text her with my iPhone, then she gets them. When other people text her with a Sony Ericcson mobile, it wont come through. She tried to send one herself to herself, with her old sony ericsson (norwegian number), and she didnt even receive that.

Has anyone heard of anything similar? It should matter which brand the phone is.. I think it's very strange. So was hoping you lot here could help me figure it out :D Is there something she needs to do so she can receive text from everyone?

Thanks so much!

Lisa :)

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Are you sure that people are sending messages to a correctly formatted number?

It should be +1 followed by her number.

Sometimes messages get a little delayed, so she may get them later.

lisamel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Yeh they have tried both +1 and 001.. Is there any other format to try? :)

Its weird because when I send they get the straight away, but when my parents send (they both have sony ericsson) they never get there.

There isnt anything else to do after you buy the phone? No activation of text messages or something? :)

Thank you!!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Yeh they have tried both +1 and 001.. Is there any other format to try? :)

Its weird because when I send they get the straight away, but when my parents send (they both have sony ericsson) they never get there.

There isnt anything else to do after you buy the phone? No activation of text messages or something? :)

Thank you!!

Just to make sure, you're doing the full 10 digit number, right? For example, it should be 001-123-456-7890

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Tell her to go into a T-Mobile store (not a kiosk, a full store) and bring both phones with her so she can show them exactly what's happening, or not happening. She can text herself from her old phone and vice versa in front of the agent, and they can troubleshoot from there.

lisamel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Okay, I will tell her to do that. Its weird because she cant text the other girl she is living with either. And she is also on T Mobile, but in Hawaii. Never heard of this happening. When I text her with my iphone its okay, also with a new HTC mobile its fine. But when my parents try with their slightly older sony ericsson, it doesnt show up.. Weird!!

When I text her I sent to +1 808 xxx xxxx. Same with every other phone.. But only the ones sent from new phones get there..

Lisa :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.