problems with moving files from NTFS HD to macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flowdesigner, Aug 15, 2010.

1. flowdesigner macrumors newbie

Hi,

Im a mac noob. I try to move my folders with all my files from my old NTFS external harddrive to my new mac. But my mac start complaining and says ;

"The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items"

this only happen with certain folders, but it is very important for me to get all my material over to my macbook wothout trouble.

Is this a known problem?

Thanks for your time :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you checked permissions on those troublesome folders?
    Can you open those folders in Finder and drag objects out of those folders?

Changing Permissions, but you need NTFS write capability to do so. But those steps can also be used to check the permissions.

3. flowdesigner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you,

but im only interested in being able to read from the HD at the moment.
    I think the workarounds here seems quite advanced and complicated, I have never written a line of code before, so im not sure wether I will be able to achieve good results from doing this.

Should I give the "terminal" thing a go anyway? :eek:

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No. I just gave you the FAT32/NTFS/HFS information to maybe have a look at NTFS-3G.

But what does the Sharing and Permissions tab of the GET INFO window say? And what about the files inside the folder, do they behave the same?

5. flowdesigner thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

Sharing and permission say : you can only read. And I only want to read, so that is cool. But when I try to read, some folders say I dont have permission.

6. flowdesigner thread starter macrumors newbie

All the files and folders say : you can only read

7. flowdesigner thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems the main problem is a bunch of aif.files that I recieved for a commercial remix job some months ago, and the asd. files with the same name as the aif files also dont let me move from HD to mac.
    I recieved the files at yousendit.com and they was used on macintosh in a high profile commerical music studio, and I used the files on my previous PC laptop, so I find this very strange.

ANy ideas what causes this?