Problems with MP, it won't sleep!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rontheancient, Feb 25, 2008.

1. rontheancient macrumors regular

I just zapped the PRAM and SMC. It fixed the reboot problem, but added another one: the computer wont sleep. It sleeps, then wakes up 2 seconds later. This happens when choosing sleep from both the login window and the menu bar, although I did not try the timed one yet. I also notice that this only happens when the user logs in for the first time after a reboot as it did not happen when I put it to sleep right after I rebooted the unit.

2.8 Octo
    8800GT
    Bay 1: Stock WD 320GB (Half-Half for Boot Camp)
    Bay 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB, SD15 firmware
    Bay 3: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB, SD15 firmware(60/40 split)
    4GB RAM(2GB Stock, 2GB OWC)

I also wiped the factory install and did a fresh install from the restore DVD's when I took it out of the box. This issue did not happen while the computer was sitting at the office, but the only major difference between the home and office setup is the monitor and network speed, and the Logitech S530 set.

2. junior77 macrumors regular

Do you have anything connected to the mac, i.e., external HDD or Flash Drives, iPhone, iPod? This *might* be the cause for it not to goto sleep....this was fairly consistent with my PMG5 and so far has been true with my new MacPro.

3. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

So far:
    S530 Receiver
    ATI Remote Wonder Plus Receiver
    USB from Viewsonic VX2255wmb monitor for built in webcam

All connected to a powered USB hub. The Mac Pro doesn't wake to keyboard inputs from the S530, probably because its wireless.

4. junior77 macrumors regular

For debugging purposes, I would try putting the computer to sleep with no 3rd party devices connected to the mac. Just the OEM keyboard, mouse & monitor. Then do a restart and try.

If that works, then add each device one at a time and retry. Time consuming, yes. But it should tell you what the root cause is.

5. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

So it was the monitor. But if I turn the monitor off before I tell it to sleep, the Mac will sleep normally, this also means that the Mac will wake when I turn on the monitor. Ehh, a little of good and bad, bad in that I need to turn off the screen before sleep, good in that I have a easier to reach, and bigger button to wake the computer with. Thanks for the help, being a student IT assistant, im slapping myself in the head for not thinking of the "fix".