Problems with multiple Software updates

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by strawbale, Jul 20, 2017.

1. strawbale, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

strawbale macrumors member

When the App Store shows multiple Software Updates, like today's Security Update 2017-003 & iTunes 12.6.2 & Safari 10.1.2, more often than not - even after a restart (or two...) - the App Store shows/says that there are still one (or more) updates to download. Sometimes, like today, even after downloading the Safari and iTunes updates again (and seeing that the progress bar goes until calculating.. and installing...), the App Store wants me to download it again; and 'about Safari' shows that indeed it has not yet been updated...

Really annoying, especially as I'm on a max 1 Mb/s internet connection :-(

Any suggestions/solutions?

PS: I'm using 10.11.6; This never seemed to happen with multiple updates in 10.6.8

2. strawbale thread starter macrumors member

3. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

Mac App Store has been unreliable for years, unfortunately Apple hasn't fixed it.

At this point Terminal can be used as a workaround if you have experience with command line, open Terminal and copy these commands one at the time:

1. to check what updates are available: softwareupdate --list
    2. to install updates: sudo softwareupdate --install nameoftheupdate or alternatively sudo softwareupdate --install -a to install all available updates
    3. if you install update which requires reboot such as 10.12.6 update first wait until Terminal notifies you to restart Mac, then use sudo reboot command and wait until Mac completes install & reboot.