Problems with my AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iRhyknow, Sep 26, 2007.

1. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

I just got Halo 3 and instantly tried to play a game with my friend who lives in New York. Neither of us could connect to each other because of our NAT settings :confused:. I have very limited knowledge of any wireless stuff other than my AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes has made my life very easy up until this point. I have never had a problem using my Xbox 360 to connect to him or anyone else before for any other game. I went to the bungie website and this is what I found.

Q: What is NAT and why do I care about it?

A: In extremely simple terms, NAT (Network Address Translation) helps determine how your router interacts with the rest of the internet. If your NAT settings are restrictive, you may have problems connecting to other players. To test your settings, go to the Xbox 360 Dashboard and test your connection. At the bottom of the test results, you will see your ‘NAT Type.’ You want it to say ‘Open’ – if it says ‘Moderate’ or ‘Strict’ you may experience some problems.

If you're NAT settings display 'Moderate' or 'Strict,' you should consult your router's documentation, either online or in the instruction manual.

If anyone has any idea how I can change my setting on my AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes to "open" I would be very appreciative :D.

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

If you go into the 360 settings and run an Xbox Live Connection Test, what shows up under NAT? Strict, moderate, or open??

3. iRhyknow thread starter macrumors member

iRhyknow

Mine has strict, and my friend who has the same setup says moderate. Thanks.

4. sonofdon macrumors newbie

Help

Anyone have a fix for this? It's killing me. Halo 3 is the only game that has given me this error. Is there a work around? I have two airport expresses. One is the router and the other a repeater.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i have a similar problem with my airport extreme. its pretty complicated, and i could never figure it out

6. mtlakesflyer8 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I understand your problems. I have the older Airport Extreme (not the n router) and i experienced the same problems. What my solution was was to have a direct ethernet connection to my modem, not the Aiport Extreme. Trust me, I've done plenty of research and i'll be surprised if you get your NAT to anything other than strict or moderate if you connect your xbox to your airport wirelessly. even connecting to the airport through a wired ethernet connection will give you a strict NAT. However, if you read other forums, some people say you can get an open NAT by opening specific ports on your airport. Try this.... http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Go down to the Aiport section.