Problems With My Apple 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tard82, Jul 28, 2011.

1. tard82, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

tard82 macrumors newbie

I bought a refurbished 27" iMac last September.

I'm having no end of problems. One is a discoloured display as per attached image. Second is a flickering screen. Third is Wifi problems i.e. it keeps losing Internet connection all the time until I reboot even though my iPhone, iPad, and Dad's 2006 Macbook are all still connected OK.

I work for myself from home and Apple propose me being without my computer for up to 5 days to repair. Not sure how they expect people to work or how they think that's good service when it's a computer worth £1400? I expect better from Apple when I pay a premium for their products.

[​IMG]

Has anyone else had similar problems?

For someone who has owned all the following equipment since 2003, you think Apple would want to offer a more suitable solution and keep a loyal customer happy.

2003 Apple iMac G4 15"
    2006 iPod 30GB
    2006 iPod HiFi
    2006 Macbook Pro 15"
    2007 iPhone
    2007 Apple iMac 20"
    2008 iPhone 3G
    2008 Macbook Pro 15"
    2010 iMac 27"
    2010 iPhone 4
    2010 iPad

2. crut macrumors regular

Given that giving you a brand new machine is out of the question as they will want to repair it first, and other than taking it away for repair, what do you suggest they do?

3. Jexta macrumors member

You bought a refurbished machine, that is akin to buying a used car from a dealer. The machine has been used previously before being "refurbished".

Apple Service Centers do not keep a stockpile of parts for each and every Apple machine on the market, and as such will require time to diagnose, order and install the new parts to repair your machine. This takes time. 5 days is a reasonable expectation, and normally things will be done quicker.

There is little you can do but have it repaired under warranty.

4. tard82 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do Apple expect you to work when you don't have a computer and are self employed!?

Also a refurbished machine is no excuse. It's fully inspected by Apple and sold as good as new with a full 1 year warranty. Well it's supposed to be as good as new.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I suggest you ask the apple care people to arrange the early appointment at the store for diagnosis, then while they order parts you take your machine home and work.

However, that may not be enough time for them to diagnose it either, so you still may be stuck. Do you have Apple Care on the machine? sometimes those repairs can cut in front of you in line.

The problem here is you have no redundancy built into your work flow. You should have a backup plan in place anyway should it die on you. It happens. you need a plan.

I was in a situation where I could not be without the compute for a long period of time and I was able to work with Customer Relations to schedule it at a time that worked for me.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Our local apple reseller has an option to rent a Mac. Why don't you try that?

There are guides on how to backup your internal drive to a USB drive (back ups are good) and i remember guides on how to boot from USB, or even to copy to the 'rented' machine so it operates as the old one did. Maybe your shop can help with this?

7. chockymonster macrumors member

Yes, I've had exactly that display issue, it just gets worse by the way.
    I had 7 replacement panels/iMacs before saying no more.

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I've bought refurbished plenty of times and never had problems and brand new ones that go kaput within a month. It all depends on how lucky you are. :)

Try going to a Apple Certified Tech. Sometimes they have macs to lend you while they repair yours - for free. Other than that, be happy you get to take a vacation from work.;)