Problems with my iMac G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Coombas, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Coombas macrumors newbie

Hello all, Ive been having a few problems with my iMac g4 lately, I'm kind of new to macs, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Ive been trying to install a clean operating system on my mac so i can sell it. First, I tried to install OS X 10.3 but it wouldn't allow it because there was a more updated version already on it: 10.3.9. So I began to tinker around a little bit and I deleted the hard drive. So at this point, there's no operating system on it. My friend gave me a 10.4.3 disc to install, I did it, and everything went smoothly with the installation. The problem is that when i try to turn it on, it stays stuck on the opening loading screen. I tried contacting apple support but with my current financial situation wasn't about to jump on that 50 fee. Thanks in advance.

2. NickEm009 macrumors newbie

First I would make sure the iMac's hardware meet Tiger's requirements, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1514. If the iMac does than try to reinstall the OS again. If you put the OS disc in the computer and turn the computer on while holding the "C" key it woll boot from the disc drive and hopefully that will fix it. GOOD LUCK!:apple:

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What kind of disc? One that looked like this?

4. Coombas thread starter macrumors newbie

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

As the 10.4 disc is burned and given to you I would suggest buying a legit retail copy so that we can help you. As getting a copy of 10.4 that way is considered pirated and against forum rules.

As for your 10.3 disc I would install that for now since you have already formatted your hard drive. It should go on fine now.

6. Coombas thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't aware that was against forum rules. You mentioned the 10.3 disc but that still wont work because it says that there is no previous OS installed.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Boot from the install disc. Go to disc utility (in the tools menu) and format the drive, Mac OS X extended (not sure if journaled was available in 10.3). Then quit disc utility and continue with the installer. Select your hard drive to install to and you can then hit the options button to do a clean install.

Afterwards you should have a fresh install of OS 10.3 without any lingering files.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This sounds like an upgrade disc. Do you have the restore discs that came with this Mac?