Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
I'm getting annoyed by my Mac. My Windows 7 laptop seemed to work far better than my 13" Pro, and it's doing my head in.

Since I've had it, Photoshop CS5 lags a lot, and doing certain things within the application can make the whole computer lag. I'm also getting a glitch with with the brushes where I'm unable to access the menu, because when I click Photoshop for some reason thinks I'm drawing on the canvas, and I have to keep on editing my work.

Anyway, these are the problems with the actual Mac.

I went away at the weekend and connected to the secure wifi there perfectly fine. No problems. I got home and was using it like normal. I had to go to university the next day, but was finishing off some work in the morning, and had to take my MacBook into university with me. It suddenly came up asking to install updates, and I started downloading them until I realised it was going to take about 40mins, and I had a lecture in 10, so I cancelled it. I get to university, and try and boot up my Mac. It crashed on the loading screen, with the Apple logo and the little spinning ring thing. I turned it off, and then back on. It came on. I tried to connect to the university network. It said it connected, but usually, with Windows laptops, when you go to your preferred browser a 'Secure Login' page comes up, where you enter your university credentials. This didn't happen for me. I even go the URL for it off a friend and it wouldn't allow me to connect at all. I went through the internet wizard thing that's on OS X and in the end it came back saying my Mac wasn't connected to the wifi at all. So that's the first problem.

Then Safari stopped working for me, and it still won't work. Each time I try and launch it, it crashes, so I switched over to Chrome. I still couldn't connect, so Chrome suggested I look at my Firewall settings. I did that, and low and behold, my Firewall has never been on, even though I was told when I bought my Mac 'everything' had been set up.

Any idea's how I can fix these problems? And would the Firewall being off whilst I have been away cause any problems?

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm getting annoyed by my Mac. My Windows 7 laptop seemed to work far better than my 13" Pro, and it's doing my head in.

Since I've had it, Photoshop CS5 lags a lot, and doing certain things within the application can make the whole computer lag. I'm also getting a glitch with with the brushes where I'm unable to access the menu, because when I click Photoshop for some reason thinks I'm drawing on the canvas, and I have to keep on editing my work.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
Acitivty_Monitor.png

Further reading:
______________________________________________________​

Maybe you don't have enough RAM.

I went away at the weekend and connected to the secure wifi there perfectly fine. No problems. I got home and was using it like normal. I had to go to university the next day, but was finishing off some work in the morning, and had to take my MacBook into university with me. It suddenly came up asking to install updates, and I started downloading them until I realised it was going to take about 40mins, and I had a lecture in 10, so I cancelled it. I get to university, and try and boot up my Mac. It crashed on the loading screen, with the Apple logo and the little spinning ring thing. I turned it off, and then back on. It came on. I tried to connect to the university network. It said it connected, but usually, with Windows laptops, when you go to your preferred browser a 'Secure Login' page comes up, where you enter your university credentials. This didn't happen for me. I even go the URL for it off a friend and it wouldn't allow me to connect at all. I went through the internet wizard thing that's on OS X and in the end it came back saying my Mac wasn't connected to the wifi at all. So that's the first problem.

Then Safari stopped working for me, and it still won't work. Each time I try and launch it, it crashes, so I switched over to Chrome. I still couldn't connect, so Chrome suggested I look at my Firewall settings. I did that, and low and behold, my Firewall has never been on, even though I was told when I bought my Mac 'everything' had been set up.

Any idea's how I can fix these problems?
That's a bit more complicated, as there a lot of factors here.
Maybe try resetting your network settings first via System Preferences > Network.

And would the Firewall being off whilst I have been away cause any problems?
The firewall is turned off by default.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
So Safari is opening now, but it's running horribly. Pages keep dying on me and my Mac just feels outright sluggish. It's only 2 months old. I don't even have much on it. About 15GB of music, stock Apple software, and Adobe's 5.5 Creative Suite, and then some PSD's. I haven't clogged it up. I keep getting that colourful spinny thing. I don't know what it's called.

ARGH.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It is called the "spinning beachball":
beachball.gif

As for your slowness:

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
Acitivty_Monitor.png

Further reading:
______________________________________________________​

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
So Safari is opening now, but it's running horribly. Pages keep dying on me and my Mac just feels outright sluggish. It's only 2 months old. I don't even have much on it. About 15GB of music, stock Apple software, and Adobe's 5.5 Creative Suite, and then some PSD's. I haven't clogged it up. I keep getting that colourful spinny thing. I don't know what it's called.

ARGH.

The amount of stuff on the hard drive doesn't affect performance until you're using up the last 10% of the drive, and even that won't affect performance much.

I'm thinking you're either running out of RAM or have a dying hard drive.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Alright, I'll post the screenshot of my page ins and all that jazz after, just need to finish some Photoshop stuff off first.

If it was my harddrive on it's way out, how would I know?? I've only had it since November :/

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Sorry for the bump, my thread got a bit buried.

ScreenShot2012-02-18at155201.png

Does look like a RAM issue or a hard drive issue? Photoshop seems to be taking up everything.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
... again, sorry for the bump, but it's getting pretty unbearable to do any work in PS. If it's just that I need more RAM, then I'll definitely order some ASAP. If it's something else, then I dunno what I'll do.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Alright cool. I'll fork out and get an extra 4GB of RAM. So I don't have an issue with my HDD then?

Quite probably you don't. It takes some CPU effort to move memory around from RAM to hard disks and back. Once you solve the memory issue, as a result you will likely free up some CPU and hard disk use as well, making everything snappier.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Awesome. Any RAM that you recommend? I looked on the Apple site, and the price came back at £320?? That's exceptionally steep for RAM.

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Awesome. Any RAM that you recommend? I looked on the Apple site, and the price came back at £320?? That's exceptionally steep for RAM.

Basically anything but Apple for RAM. I bought some from macsales.com - Other Word Computing - at a great price.

There will be plenty of online and local options available for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.