problems with my macbook!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stork, Nov 19, 2007.

1. stork macrumors member

i downloaded the update from software update but i was rushing to go out,. i think it said it hadnt worked and i had to do sumthing, but i was already late so i had to shut down.

i'am back from the weekend away, and now my macbook wont work, it get the screen with the silver apple logo and just sits there not moving, the spinning thing just keeps spinning round

i'am realli worried! can someone help,

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. stork thread starter macrumors member

i dont have the discs with me as i'am at uni, and there at home, 300miles away! this is really bad!

4. macdim macrumors 6502

Well if your Uni has an Apple reseller, yo may be able to get some discs from there that they have opened. Maybe only if you bought the computer there. Another thing to do, although clumsy, is to have someone at home rip the disc and send you the iso and you burn yourself a copy on a friend's computer. I know it's clumsy, but it's all I can think of. If you can live without your computer for a while, and you're going home for the holidays, then there isn't really that much time to wait.

5. stork thread starter macrumors member

if i boot from disc will i lose all my stuff from my mac? will it return it to factory settings?

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Hey Stork -

What update were you doing? Was it the one for 10.4.10 (About MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0)? Or was it 10.5.1 ?

If it was the first (non-Leopard) you should see this article: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306442

But what was the error when you ran the update?

You could run Disk Utility from your Install Disc like the article explains. You won't lose your stuff if you pay attention to this part of the instructions from the article:

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (You must select your language first.)
    Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

Then after you restart from your hard disk, check for updates again. If you are still offered the update, then try it again and this time, give yourself some time to complete it. Again, once completed, you should follow the steps in the article.

Hope this helps -GDF

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No. You'll lose your data if you reformat the drive but it should be fine being repaired or even running an Archive & Install. If you do this last option, repair the disk beforehand using wise old and hairy GfulDedFan's method. :)

8. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Wise....I guess that comes with age

Old......requirement for wisdom (see above)

Hairy........I have pictures from the 70's with hair. :D

9. briantology macrumors 6502

Or you could have someone at home mail you your install discs.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you really can't get your hands on some discs for a while, then at least try repairing the drive via Single User Mode with fsck. :)

11. 2reddots macrumors newbie

problems with my mac

Hey Guys,

I have problems with my mac, when i start up i get a grey screen with the apple logo and then it goes to a language menu. I kinda forced the install disc 1 into my pc!! dont know what to do now?? please help.

12. michaelfengdayu macrumors member

Did you try Safe Boot

Try Safe Boot by holding down the shift key.
    or
    Call Applecare.