Problems with my refurbished MBP 2018

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
My refurbished MBP 2018, 15" 2.6Ghz arrived, and I immediately turned it on, set up my account, and opened the App store to install Mojave. Here's the first problem.

The first time I downloaded the installer, it gave me errors when trying to open. So I deleted the installer, and re-downloaded it.

The second time I downloaded the installer, it would open. However, during installation, it tells me "An error occurred installing macOS", and quits.

The second problem is that once in a while (random intervals), my wifi connection drops, and I have to turn off/on the computer's wifi to make it reconnect. It's happened twice so far, and I've owned the machine for less than 24 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: green86

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
I would take advantage of Apple's generous return policy and just return it and not deal with it. I just returned a refurb yesterday, two hours after it arrived.
Can the refurb be turned in for a replacement, or do I have to go through the process of getting a refund and then order online all over again?

Reactions: green86

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Can the refurb be turned in for a replacement, or do I have to go through the process of getting a refund and then order online all over again?
I don't know, I returned mine to the store to just be done with it. I haven't decided if I'm going to order another one, but a sealed new one from a retailer with a poor return policy, or just keep using my old junk I'm typing this on.

I don't think either case will get the new one in your hands any faster, but if you just exchange it you'll probably still be tied to your original machine's receipt date for your 14 day return window. If anything I'd just order a new one right now and get things moving, and deal with the return separately.

I always like to just return and rebuy so I get a completely fresh start on the 14 day window, etc.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
My suggestion will be different.
Why the compelling need to "upgrade" so soon?
Why not just "set it up as delivered", and run it that way a week or two to make sure everything is ok?

Drifty_Child

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
USA
My suggestion will be different.
Why the compelling need to "upgrade" so soon?
Why not just "set it up as delivered", and run it that way a week or two to make sure everything is ok?
What do you mean? Mojave was made for 2018 Macs, and if I keep it past the "return window", then I'm stuck with this computer even if features aren't working. I can't idly wait two weeks.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

stradify

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2015
USA
What do you mean? Mojave was made for 2018 Macs, and if I keep it past the "return window", then I'm stuck with this computer even if features aren't working. I can't idly wait two weeks.
I would reboot the computer into Recovery Mode and install Mojave from there.
Here's a link to Apple's website that explains how: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904
You want to go the middle route: Option-⌘-R

For your wifi problems take a look at the latest post over here: http://osxdaily.com/2018/11/19/fix-macos-mojave-wifi-problems/
That will walk you through the process of figuring out your wifi issue and also possible solutions.