Problems with network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cirxia, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Cirxia macrumors newbie

Hi!

My girlfriend's got a Macbook with Mac OS snowleopard 1067. Whenever she connects to our router, both of us lose Internet access. However, when she disables airport, I get connected once I reset the router.

I must admit I don't have much experience with Mac as I've used windows or linux all my life; that's why I'm turning to you! I know viruses and malware for Mac is hard to come across, although I've seen some posts about viruses which change the DNS settings. She has not downloaded anything but documents and pictures lately, and no suspicious programs have been installed. Ran a full check with Sophos (which updates automaticly? In that case I guess it's got the latest virus definitions) but it found nothing. This might just be a setting issue, just providing as much relevant information as I can.

Has anyone here had a similar problem, or heard about something like this? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

// Cirxia

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What kind of router? What DNS server settings are on the router, your Mac and her Mac? What wireless settings?
    No, there are trojans, not viruses, that can change DNS settings, but you have to install those. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

Sophos should be avoided, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here... and here.