Problems with new Macbook Pro. PLZ HELP!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hollywood334, May 15, 2012.

1. hollywood334 macrumors newbie

My 4 day old MacBook Pro is giving me problems and just started today. First off my FreeAgent GoFlex external hard drive switched to read only yesterday, now today it won't even mount. Then about 10 minutes ago I can't drag or drop anything into my Macintosh HD icon on my desktop. it says that it can't be modified. The only way I can is to enter my password every time. When I click on get info, under sharing and permission, It says i can read only. What has happened and how can I fix it?

2. simsaladimbamba

What about changing the permissions on the Macintosh HD to "system - read and write; admin - read and write" and doing the same for the external HDD?
    Have you verified the external HDD via Disk Utility yet?
    Tried an SMC reset yet, as that sometimes helps with bugging external devices?

3. hollywood334 thread starter macrumors newbie

So far this is what I have tried. I have clicked verify disk permissions and repair disk permissions. I'm sorta new to the whole mac screen, so you might have to walk me through how to change all this stuff.

4. simsaladimbamba, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

simsaladimbamba

I didn't mean permission verifying but using the "Verify Disk" button in Disk Utility. It is left of the buttons you already pressed.
    As for setting permissions: Mac OS X - Setting Permissions

Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore

5. simsaladimbamba

You have to click the lock icon to make changes, as described in step 3 in the "Mac OS X - Setting Permissions" article I linked.
    [​IMG]
    PS: The above screenshot is how it is set for me, it seems your "admin" group is missing from there.

6. hollywood334 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it got it, i clicked the lock and entered my password and changed everyone to read and write. Now it works, how can I get the Admin back?

7. simsaladimbamba

Click the "+" icon and select the "Administrators" group and click SELECT.

8. hollywood334 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, i clicked the administrators and nothing happened. So i clicked my name and it came up as read only, then i changed it to read and write. Maybe this will work now. Thanks for your help.

DOing this some how has gotten my FreeAgent GoFlex to mount but is still read only. Would you happen to know how to change this? I tried the same way under get info and there isn't anything to change under sharing.

----------

under disk utility for the GoFlex drive the only thing I can click is verify disk and when i do i get an error.verify volume failed, invalid request.