Problems with New MBP 2016: is Apple able to fix things?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyco, Jun 3, 2017.

1. nyco macrumors newbie

Hi

A few days ago I posted in a thread related to MBP graphic issues the following post:

---------------
    I received my macbook pro 15 in mid-April. Following specs:
    • 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    • Radeon Pro 450 with 2GB VRAM
    No issues for a couple of weeks while I was doing light stuff (small edits in lightroom, short clips in FCPX). Then (unfortunaly after the 14-day return window was over) I installed davinci resolve, which I knew is very heavy. I started to have system crashes every single time I was exporting a project. Macbook was becoming hot (I can expect that), vents running high (fine with that)....but then display started to flicker and system crashed. Did some tests, crashed whenever I was exporting from Resolve and one day it rebooted with thick vertical lines on my display. Rebooted is actually wrong because the system remained stucked after prompting for password.

Went to an apple store and was told it was GPU failure. I was told they would order new logic board and that it would take 3 to 5 business days. Today (3rd day), I called for an update and was told the mac was sent to service center for further tests. Nice, so it was not the GPU? It has other issues? Who knows... Not bad for a month-old machine....

To be continued...
    ---------------------------

Since what happened next is not related to graphic issues only, I thought about opening a new thread.

In short, I was called on 1 June bacause my MBP had been repaired (new logic board) and was ready for pickup. At the apple store, I was ready to pick it up when I saw a scratch of about half inch next to the apple logo. They verified it was not there when I gave it to them and offered a free display replacement to be done in 24 hours at the store.

On 2 June I got another call and was told they did replace the display but not the machine was not switching on and they were going to send to the service center for further work. I just checked online and it seems my macbook is still at the store, pending shipment to the center. I guess I will have it back sometime towards the end of next week.

I called customer service asking if I could have a replacement in view of the problems and was told I "don't qualify yet".

I just wanted to share what is becoming a very annoying experience with a customer service that does not seem to be able to fix problems in the right way. It's a month old computer and it has now been with apple for about 10 days...
    Cheers.

2. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Sounds like a lot of bad luck. They don't offer temporary replacement machines? If it where my only computer I'd be pretty frustrated.

Apple and GPU's don't have the best history. Nevertheless, all computer components can fail. Lots of people are happy with their machines, this is an incident.

Not sure what Apple would need to fix here. At some point they'll replace the right part and everything will be okay again. Would've been better if it was done quicker, but it seems like there were unexpected issues.

3. nyco thread starter macrumors newbie

True, components can fail, and I have no issues with that. Actually, my mistake was not testing it with heavy applications within the 14-day return window.

What I believe they should improve is what came next. It was scratched, so probably not treated very well. Why if you fix the display something else goes wrong? Again, bad luck or somebody who did something wrong? Yesterday I was told to wait another 5 business days to get it repaired...for sure time is becoming an issue.

I only hope that once I get it back it will be a decent machine.

4. HatMine macrumors member

HatMine

I don't see the problem here, they've basically done and are doing everything they can. Sure, they could've replaced it, but seeing how expensive this computer is you have to understand why they can't just swap it out for you. As per the time it is taking for them to repair it, it sounds like it's taking a normal amount of time. I mean I've waited for multiple weeks to get computers fixed.

5. venom600 macrumors 6502a

When they said you don't qualify for a replacement yet, they are referring to the CRU program. Apple will replace a machine if it has three or more major component failures during it's warranty (or applecare) period. A logic board and a display are two. The next time something breaks, you get a new machine if you ask for it.

The irony is with the new notebooks EVERYTHING is a major component replacement. They can't just replace a daughterboard like they used to. A simple battery replacement requires the entire upper case including keyboard to be replaced (as I found out a few weeks ago).

6. nyco thread starter macrumors newbie

@HatMine: frankly I see a problem. I don't need a replacement, I would be very happy with a computer that, once fixed, works as it should. My problem is that they fixed one thing, created a second problem. Fixed the second problem, and a third problem comes up. Again, it is either very bad luck or somebody who did not do a good job.

7. Haemorrhage macrumors member

Haemorrhage

Do keep us posted. I'm genuinely interested in the matter should I run into the same issue, God forbid!!! :)

8. ZapNZs, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

In my opinion, they should have replaced the machine after the third problem. If this were me personally, I would call their corporate headquarters/customer service lead as it sounds like someone did not treat your system with the care/competency/professionalism they should have, and I feel that Apple's elevated customer service division would be understanding of this unique situation because this poorly represents the outstanding service that Apple generally provides.

From the Customer's perspective, I think you are completely right. The OP paid a small fortune for this system, which was defective (which, while frustrating, does happen and is understandable), but then the Maker damaged the system when it went for repair, and then failed to work correctly after fixing the damage caused during the original fixing.