Problems with new MBP refurb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hari-bhari, Aug 23, 2008.

1. hari-bhari macrumors regular

I just got a MBP refurb off ebay about 2 weeks ago. It is the latest base model with the multitouch, 2.4ghz, 200gb, 2gb ram, and superdrive. I used a macbook before this, so I am familiar with the OS and consider myself somewhat mac savvy. However, since I bought it I have been having many weird issues:

-(At least) two programs were already installed on the machine: insomniax and Opera, neither of which I installed myself. When I opened up the computer (which was sealed in the box), it took me through the Leopard setup like normal. Could it not have been wiped properly previously?
    -Safari crashes at least 3-4 times a day on random webpages. This never used to happen before
    -Applications keep asking for my keychain password to access it. I opened up keychain access and made sure it was unlocked. I also tried to delete and refresh the keychain but it doesn't seem to like that either.
    -I can hear my left side fan whooshing and blowing air even on idle at 2000rpm, the right side is completely quiet. When things ramp up to 6000rpm, the right side is audible, but the left one is humming/resonating.
    -I have the extremely annoying headphone hissing/beeping issue, and I know it can be fixed with high impedance headphones, but it should work out the box. Does anyone with a new MBP NOT have this issue?
    -Battery life is only about 3:00-3:15 on half brightness while surfing, chatting, and mail. It should be something closer to about 4hrs. Also, my max battery mAh is only 5450 instead of 5600. I have tried resetting the SMC and doing the full power cycle several times. My old macboook, I was able to keep it ABOVE the original capacity for over a year using the power cycling method.

I contacted apple for a replacement but they said I have to go through the original point of purchase. What are my other options? I think I've received a lemon.

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Probably best to use the install DVD to wipe and reinstall from scratch. Sounds like it may have been a used system.

I personally never buy high ticket items on ebay, just too many disreputable companies out their.

Cheers,

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

You definitely got a lemon, I have none of those problems with the exact same configuration. I easily get 4 to 5 hours of battery life too, I'm at 97% battery health.

4. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

I don't really think it has to do with where I bought it since it came sealed and what-not. I got it for $1250 (after $250 cashback from live search cashback from microsoft) instead of the $1700+tax it would have cost me from Apple.
    Still, I would expect it to be proper no matter how much I paid or where it came from seeing as its not a USED system.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's not even CLOSE to being a lemon.

Do a full install. Don't install overtop of the existing OS.

Battery sounds fine. You don't think you can get 4 hours on a 15" MBP anyway. The fan issues are likely OS related, not hardware related. Reinstall everything and try again.

Furthermore, "refurbs" only come from Apple, IMO. If you buy a "refurb" system on eBay or not from a reseller, it's just a used MBP. Apple can offer you their warranty, meaning any reseller can repair your laptop at no cost to you, or themselves since Apple will give them the parts themselves. If a store offers you a refurb, Apple's not going to offer you their 1 year warranty, so it costs the store money to order the parts to repair it for you. I'm sure they don't like doing things like that, so just don't get store refurbs unless you really know the store well.

The only thing about your laptop that I'd consider a problem is the buzzing from the headphones, and that's not a big problem, either.

For that, call the store you bought it off, or email them about your problems. It doesn't even sound like you have done this. :eek:

That's it.

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

It is quite simple to cleanup and seal a used/stolen system. Everybody is out to make money which means whomever sold it to you bought for less than you paid. It is highly unlikely this is a new system.

Since you have no real idea where it came from you can't really expect the software to be as perfect as it might have been from the factory.

Cheers,

7. GUILTIE macrumors regular

The headphone jack buzzing is a known problem that affects many MBP's. Maybe Apple would replace it, but you could just get another that has the same problem.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Mine does that only until I play something.

Cheers,

9. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

you guys are very quick to jump to conclusions based on the fact that it was purchased on ebay. although i only have a few posts on this forum, i'm hardly a noob. i checked out the warranty on the serial number of the unit before purchasing it on August 4th, and it showed as being purchased on August 1st, with a warranty til 8/01/09. If this unit was stolen or used, then either the serial would be registered as stolen, or it would have shown as being purchased MORE than 3 days ago. The unit came in the original Apple refurb boxed, and all components were packaged and sealed properly (down to the plastic shrink wrap that covers the power brick). The ebay seller had 200+ feedback at 100% positive, all dealing with computer systems. So instead of dismissing this as I got scammed, I would appreciate some useful feedback on whether or not the issues I am having are normal (which some members have done and I appreciate). As for repairing/replacing, I did contact Apple who had no problem with me sending it in for repair, however with this many issues I would rather just get a replacement. Apple said that for a replacement I have to go to the original seller. I contacted the original seller and he replied that he would try and get me a replacement from Apple directly, else I will have to settle for the unit being repaired.

it's definitely a problem when you are listening to music quietly while studying and the damn hissing is louder than the music itself. ive also noticed it is worse when the laptop is charging or discharging and the battery is getting close to being drained.

10. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

The only 'refurbs' I would even begin to trust, and which come with a full warranty are the Apple refurbs on the Apple Store website. The only way you can tell one from brand new is the color of the box. I saved 31% on a MBP SR 2.2, 2 gig, 120g hd, 15.4" matte ($1449) w/ free shipping direct from Cupertino.

Anything else calling itself a refurb is actually used. Apple factory refurbs may as well be new machines in comparison, because you will not find any evidence of them ever having been touched before. In fact, many of the official refurbs probably never even hit the store shelve, but were pulled off the assembly lines for some quality control issue, and re-routed back through the factory as 'refurbs.' This is what some company reps have told me about electronic products, from cameras to computers.

Anyway, Apple refurbs rock. You won't find them on eBay, unless someone bought one and decided to sell it before opening it. Once the box is opened, it's used and you take your chances. I've learned the hard way in the past.

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

who buys a computer off ebay? thats just being stupid sorry

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've sold a computer on ebay. It was in great condition and the buyer was very happy.

Of course I either stand behind what I sell (by offering refunds minus S/H) or make sure there is still warranty left.

13. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Well, the other guy (schneiderman) was talking about buying a computer on eBay. And, sure, some sellers like you, and some third-party stores who deal in corporate hand-me-downs can actually be honest, but it's an open 'flea' market, and basically it's buyer beware. I did buy a computer on eBay from an online store, but I didn't spend over $205 plus $15 to ship for a used Thinkpad. It was short the memory they said it had, but they sent me a free module when I called them. Still, lots of consumers might not have noticed and they would have gotten away with it. They said it was a mistake, and not intentional, but who really knows. Ebay is for those who have enough confidence to go out and buy a used car alone. There are deals there, but there are lots of hazards and few guarantees. If you're looking for a MBP, I recommend a refurb direct from Apple.com, because used Macs can fetch quite a bit on ebay - good for sellers, not so good for buyers. Just my $0.02.

14. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

As others have said, just perform an "Erase and Install" and see if it makes a difference.

15. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

yup thats what i plan on doing. for all of you that are convinced this is a used system, and not a genuine apple refurb (other retailers DO sell them), first go up and read my last post. i love mac, but it irks me when people on this forum are so obsessed that they think apple can do no wrong. by the way, i compared my hissing/static to a friends MBP, same generation, and his was WAYY softer than mine. his was not noticeable if music was playing, whereas for me the static was LOUDER than the music itself at low volumes. ill be taking it into the apple store to have a 'genius' listen to it so i can get a replacement that does not hiss as much.

16. PedsNeuro macrumors newbie

I have both bought and sold computers on eBay and have been very happy. You can find good deals if you are careful and follow some common sense rules. I have a new MacBook Air 1.8/SSD that I just picked up for $2150 with shipping and am quite happy with it.

Anyway, I agree with the posters calling for a complete reinstall. I would re-partition the hard drive with Disk Utility and go from complete scratch. Let us know how things work out, and best of luck with the machine.

17. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

This is the reason why people might think the machine is a used one and not a certified refurb. All hardware problems could be possible on a refurb, but having preinstalled, third party software such as those- is HIGHLY unlikely on a sealed refurb.

18. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

that is a very good point, i will admit. but i bought it on august 4th, and it was registered as sold by apple (directly from the website) on august 1st. out of curiosity, does anyone here have bittorrent files open in opera? mine did by default, yet i never installed opera and it's not even in the applications list and doesn't show in spotlight. would it come bundled with something?

19. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

just got a new battery (or maybe they send refurbs) from apple and even though the max capacity is still only 5450 (which i find weird, that the capacity won't go up to 5600), my battery life has gone up by about 30-45 minutes for the same usage.

20. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

If/when you properly reformat and reinstall from scratch, please inform us on any improvements. You would be surprised how much this effects your system.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Reinstall.

Erase and install.

Put the serial in on support.apple.com
    and check your warranty coverage.