Problems with new Western Digital 1TB HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gordjule, May 13, 2010.

1. gordjule macrumors newbie

Western Digital has a new 1TB internal drive that fits just fine in my 15" Unibody Macbook Pro. I needed more space so I sought to upgrade my factory 250gb hdd to this WD 1TB drive. I used disk utility to clone my previous drive. I also made sure to include the GUID partition. I booted the computer via usb connection from the new drive by holding the alt key - all this before I installed it inside my computer. It worked fine externally. I considered it safe to install it. It fit fine, and the computer booted like normal. I was excited. After about a minute of the computer being booted I get the beachball. Nothing works. I had to force shut down the computer. When I started the computer again, it booted fine but it froze after a couple minutes. I actually took out the drive and booted it externally again and it worked. But when I put it inside the computer it froze every time... and I tried several times. Anyone have any suggestions? Is it a firmware issue? Is it just a bad drive? I'm at a loss. Thanks so much for any help anyone can give.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Sounds like it could be a bad drive, although you'd kind of expect it to act up externally, too. The only good way to test is kind of a hassle: Install the drive internally, completely wipe it, reformat, install OSX from the original discs, see if it freezes.

If not, then something weird went wrong with the clone operation, and you should just be able to Migrate your users and apps over from your old drive in your external case, getting pretty much back to where you started. If it does freeze, it's a hardware issue.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Swap the drive for a new one as it sounds like it's defective

4. gordjule thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. Makosuke, thats a good idea... I'll give it a shot. Otherwise, I'll try to get a new one. Although I'm a little skeptical about buying Western Digital or Seagate now, as I've bought both kinds and they've both given me a bit of a hassle. Toshiba and Hitachi have been the most reliable... I don't know. But thanks so much for the quick response and for the help.