Problems with nvidia 8600M GT?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carferse, Nov 23, 2009.

?

I have a nvidia 8600M GT, and I have had problems with it

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. carferse macrumors newbie

Hi,

as a user of a macbook pro with this graphic chipset I'm very interested to see the failure rate of this chipset.

Some say that all of this chips will fail, so I'm looking for the current stats.

2. AsianGIRLpure macrumors member

Failed twice......can get extremely hot frequently............. ..:mad:

3. macgirl89 macrumors member

I didn't have a MacBook Pro with this chip, but I did have an HP laptop with it. After a year of use, I started having to turn it on and off multiple times in order for it to boot. A few months later, it finally died and would not turn on no matter what I did. I was still under warranty so I got the motherboard replaced, but it died again three months later. As the other poster said, it did get VERY hot within minutes of being on, but since it was my first laptop I thought that was normal...

4. fatlittlenick macrumors newbie

fatlittlenick

I've had my early 2008 Macbook Pro for over a year now and haven't had any problems with the 8600.
    I've never had any glitches or weird graphical defects happen at all, not even while playing games like Crysis Warhead and GTA IV. Mind you, i could only run Warhead on Mainstream at 1100 x 900 something AND gta IV at 800 x 600 with most of the options at medium to low (the PC version is generally pretty f***ed btw).

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Bought my 17" 2008 Alu MBP from a fellow MR user and haven't had any problems with it. I don't game on it so it just gets basic work with some photo and video editing also. Don't use an external monitor at all.

6. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

There already is a MASSIVE thread about this which is updated almost daily. We don't need another one

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Yes, but the other thread doesn't have a poll. It would be nice if the mods could merge them, but I don't know if that's possible with a poll thread and non-poll thread. I would like to see poll results if everyone in the other thread could simple vote in this one.