Problems with option boot - 2010 Mac Pro 6 Core 3.33

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dbtrip, Oct 1, 2010.

1. dbtrip macrumors newbie

Anyone else had trouble option booting with a 2010 Mac Pro? Can't get to startup manager. All I get is a blank screen. Apple says it must be a hardware problem after having me test everything else. Keyboard checks out. Can boot from install disk holding C key, but cannot change startup disk with prefs to install dvd or to a cloned drive. Have reinstalled SL 10.6.4 from install disk. Zapped pram and unplugged power, held power button 5-10 secs. and plugged in again - to reset computer according to apple tech.
    Thoughts?

2. CyCoPaTh macrumors newbie

I've got the 2010 Mac Pro 3.33 Hexcore too: I had problems getting the option boot menu to come up (it would just get stuck on the spinning progress meter) after installing bootcamp without using the bootcamp wizard to create the windows partition (I did it using Disk Utility because I didn't know any better). My guess is that the wizard sets up something in the master boot record (first few megs on the drive) that isn't done if you just create a partition manually using disk utility.

I solved the problem by deleting the partition and then creating it properly in the bootcamp wizard.

Not sure if this will help you though. Good Luck

3. dbtrip thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding.

I don't even get the spinning ball. I'm not dealing with bootcamp and haven't partitioned the boot drive - yet. I've carbon copy cloned my boot drive to an external drive (as a backup etc.) and want to use it to partition the boot drive with iPartition. But, I can't get the Mac Pro to boot from it either by changing startup disk in prefs or using option boot. Won't option boot from install disk either or by changing startup disk in prefs. Will boot from install disk by holding C key at startup. Strange. Apple tech recommended taking it in for service... arrggh. I use this computer for my work and am loathe to give it up!