Problems with OS 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by helmutnc, Oct 27, 2014.

1. helmutnc macrumors newbie

I operate OS 10.5.8 on an iMac.
    Last week, an ATT technician installed a new modem. About that time (1) I was unable to go to a previous page, had to quit & reopen. (2) My Airport network would disappear every time the computer was turned off or went to sleep. I have to join a new network & type. in the network & password.
    I have tried everything I can think of, including resetting the Pram, Installing OS 10.5.1 from a disk, etc. Nothing works. I would prefer to stay with OS 10.5.8 because I use software compatible with it.
    Please help

2. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Did the ATT tech install a new modem or a new wifi router?

As an aside, you can likely upgrade to 10.6.8 (depending on what iMac you have) and use your same programs. 10.6.8, even though it is Intel Mac only also supports powerPC apps, just as 10.5.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

In what? Safari?

Snow Leopard (10.6) was available from Apple (phone order only) for roughly $20 US a year ago. Not sure if that's still the case.

4. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Actually it is phone and online order available still direct from Apple for $20:http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

One can find it pretty easy on Amazon and Ebay too if you need a copy.

5. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Yes, if for whatever reason you need PPC backwards compatibility, 10.6.8 does a good job and still receives the occasional security update where necessary. By now there's lots of security issues that are not patched for Leopard in the wild and its a good reason not to use it.

6. chrfr macrumors 604

10.6.8 is no longer supported by Apple and won't be getting any more updates. 10.7.5 is also now unsupported.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Just read somewhere else that the last update was about 15 months ago. It's done.