Problems with OS 9 on Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by workerbee333, Nov 4, 2009.

1. workerbee333 macrumors newbie

Our office has some old software that has to run in OS 9 on a PowerPC G5. Using the G5's "additional software" DVD, I installed OS 9 in Leopard. After installing and trying to run it, I found that Leopard doesn't support the Classic environment.

What are my choices now? (1) SheepSaver, which I've read is buggy, or (2) uninstall OS 9 and try to buy new software? How do I uninstall?

Advice on how to either use SheepSaver or how to uninstall OS 9 and all its associated files would be greatly appreciated. I'm concerned about SheepSaver bugginess, because 10 people share this computer, and we don't need a troubleshooting headache.

Thank you!

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Honestly, my opinion is get new software for OS X. OS9 died nearly 10 years ago. That software is too old to keep and it's just not worth all the trouble using haxies to run OS9.

3. zed2 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Agree. What's the software? Was it written in house or is it comerical? Can you say what it does maybe we can suggest some more current alternativies.

4. workerbee333 thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be best; I'm trying to find out if I can. :\

Background: I work in a science lab, and the OS 9 software is for a piece of old but functional equipment. I don't know if newer software is compatible with the old equip, and it's extraordinarily expensive to replace this particular kind of equipment. (Plus our lab doesn't even own it, so I'd have to convince someone else's lab to upgrade.)

So, for argument's sake, let's say I don't have the luxury of buying new software...

Update: it's called Image Reader LAS-1000, by Fujifilm. I'm trying to get in touch to find out if they have better software.

5. zed2 macrumors 6502a

Your other choice would be eBay and buy an old G4 system. You can pick one up for almost nothing.

6. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Sheepshaver is a major hack. I played around with installing it under Leopard on my PM G4 and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. For one thing, Sheepshaver will only run Mac OS 7.5.2 through 9.0.4. That's not the Classic version you have on your install disk, so you'd have to obtain another old Mac OS copy somewhere (I already had a copy of 8.6). Another thing is that you need a copy of an old PowerMac ROM image, which can be found if you look for it.

There is no elegant solution for running Classic apps under Leopard. Do you really need to run Leopard? Can you downgrade to Tiger? Or, depending on what your operation is, it might be easiest to get a cheap used G4 system for the Classic app. Or just update your software to an OS X version.

7. workerbee333 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all so much. I'll either use Tiger or find new software.

Now: how do I uninstall all the OS 9 junk I just put on Leopard?

Update: Just a link to some thorough instructions would be fine.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Install 2nd drive, and use that restore DVD to install OS X and OS 9 onto that new drive.

When you need to use the equipment, reboot into OS 9 or whatever the other OS X is.

9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

If you really want to remove every trace of it this should help:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050430120117382

Be sure you do a backup first in case something goes wrong.