Problems with "Other" on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Russell Bell, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Russell Bell macrumors newbie

My mother is having a problem with the "Other" data on her iPad which has ballooned to 5+ GB on her 16 GB iPad. I thing the problem is that she tried to download Hugo in HD and the download failed midway and the partially downloaded file got left in Other and can't be cleared out. I tried downloading the movie in SD (because there wasn't enough space for HD) and then deleting, hoping that the partial file would be deleted as well. I've turned off the iPad multiple times hoping that Other would be cleared when it started back up but this has not worked. She has also restored from an iCloud back-up an this did not work either.

I know that there is the factory reset option, but she doesn't want to do this because she is afraid of losing her settings (like GMail through Exchange Active Sync which you need to be grandfathered in to).

Any suggestions as to how I can clear out the "Other" data?

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

What I do on my 8gig iPhone 4 is backup to icloud clear it then restore from icloud then when everything is put back on it I have more space try that. DONT FORGET TO BACKUP TO ICLOUD!

3. Russell Bell thread starter macrumors newbie

She doesn't want to "factory reset" . . .

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Then your screwed.

5. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

The first obvious question is what operating system is she running?

If she is not on 7.0.4 that is your answer. It has downloaded the upgrade and has not installed it.

6. Russell Bell thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked - she is running 7.0.4

7. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I use an app called isredder. It shows up in the iPhone section.. At times it is free but I just looked and it is back to $1.99. Before I did anything drastic I would invest the $1.99 and give it a try. It cleans all unused space by overwriting the memory until it is 100% full. It then releases the unused space back to the iPad. It cleaned a problem I had where deleted contacts would still show up while typing addresses for text messages. I'm not sure how it looks at unused disc space but I know it overwrites temporary files that aren't needed anymore and then releases the space.