Problems With Pages

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Master Fwiffo, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Master Fwiffo macrumors newbie

Ok, is it just me, but is pages horribly, horribly, HORRIBLY slow and laggy? It's taking longer to type a sentence than it is to read the same sentence 5 times. It's seriously a 2-3 second gap between when I hit the key and when it shows up on the screen.

As far as I can tell, I've got plenty of free memory (both on the hard drive, and RAM), and literally the only thing I have open is Safari (which is on a regular blog page with text and images from where I'm taking notes).

I've tried rebooting, clearing caches, everything I can think of, but it's just... so... laggy...

(I'm using pages 5.01 one OSX 10.9.1 on a 2011 Mac Mini 2.5 GHZ, 4 GB of memory)

2. 6of1 macrumors newbie

I would not run Safari if I were trying to do anything else on a machine with 4GB of RAM. I'm running Mavericks on my MB5,1 with 4GB and just about everything is sluggish, with the Finder becoming extremely unresponsive. I'm thinking that going to 8GB will help out quite a bit. Here you can see the results with only Safari 7 and Activity Monitor open.

[​IMG]

3. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Would you be surprized if I say I am using Safari under Mavericks with only 2 GBs of Memory? :) And I can launch lots of other apps while browsing with Safari with no issues. There is no problem associated with Safari, it is normal that a browser uses around 500 MBs of RAM. As far as I can see from your results, it is not using more than that. You have a lot of compressed memory though, which is probably because of the idle applications / documents.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Lag was one of the many problems I had with Pages. It and other bugs were so bad that I had to get a refund from the App Store. I've since returned to MS Word and have not looked back.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

While this is happening, start Activity Monitor and look at CPU usage. It sounds like maybe something else is running chewing up your CPU cycles.

Your machine should easily be able to run Pages even with Safari and many other apps open at the same time.

6. 6of1, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

6of1 macrumors newbie

I am! :eek: Those results are with 4 tabs open, which I should have noted. :D

As mentioned, sounds like it could be a case of CPU cycles. Safari is unruly though. :p

Come to think of it, lots of apps that take text input will hang on me from time to time and I will get as much as ten or twelve characters ahead. It seems almost random and isn't limited to Pages (which I use) -- sometimes it is text entry boxes on webpages, TextEdit or Terminal. Sometimes accompanied by the beach ball and sometimes not. I need to start looking at the process table and figure out what is eating up the input cycles.

Turning off "Correct Spelling Automatically" in the Keyboard/Text prefs helps.