Problems with Palm Touching Trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gcortes, May 8, 2012.

1. gcortes macrumors member

I'm holding out for the next version of the 13" MBA. In the mean time, I had my HP laptop on cafe table doing a lot of typing. Since the keyboard was high, my palms rested on the base of the keyboard. While typing my palm would occasionally touch the trackpad causing the cursor to move. It was a real pain. I'm tempted to go out and buy a reburb MBA instead of waiting. It crossed my mind that I might have the same problem on the MBA. I'll try it in the store before getting one, but I was curious if anyone has had this problem

Thanks,
    Curt

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

1. Change your typing position.
    2. OS X has a setting to prevent "accidental trackpad input," but most people don't seem to need it.

3. gcortes thread starter macrumors member

I would have to put it in my lap to do so and remain comfortable. I was typing for two hours.

I just checked a photo of the MBA. The HP's trackpad is about one key width farther to the right than the MBA and was my right hand that was causing the problem. Even without the setting you describe, the centered position of the MBA trackpad should prevent the problem.

Thanks

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Excellent! I've never had trouble brushing the touchpad on a Mac. I have, however, had trouble on various PCs.

5. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Accident

I use a mouse and go into settings that disables the trackpad. I had the same problem as you. When the mouse is not connected by bluetooth, the trackpad works.

6. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

I believe the new MacBook Air uses fingerprint scanning to ensure that you are using a finger on the trackpad instead of your palms.

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have had this happen on inferior PC laptops...but never on my MBA.

8. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Every Windows laptops I've used with a touchpad has had this issue. I've always turned them off and used a regular mouse or a nipple mouse in the keyboard.

Neither on my MBP or MBA have I experienced this issue though.

9. scarred macrumors 6502a

My experience as well. Using a Macbook Air Touchpad is nothing like using junky generic windows PC touchpad. It just works. I've never, ever accidentally moved the mouse cursor while typing.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have big hands and I have never accidentally touched the trackpad with my palms. I would say the issue is adjusting your typing position to relieve this issue.