Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Lately i've been experiencing AIM quitting on me out of nowhere, Safari will quit once in a while. Now some of my application icons have turned into different icons...for instance, when i double click my bit torrent dmg to open it, when it mounts on my desktop it looks like a rar file does. I would upload a picture to show you all, but i don't know how.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Try repairing permissions and then rebooting.

Often just relaunching Finder or restarting can clear up the mixed icons issue.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
JzzTrump22 said:
Lately i've been experiencing AIM quitting on me out of nowhere, Safari will quit once in a while. Now some of my application icons have turned into different icons...for instance, when i double click my bit torrent dmg to open it, when it mounts on my desktop it looks like a rar file does. I would upload a picture to show you all, but i don't know how.
The changing icons is an old bug that's been around ever since Mac OS X 10.3.0 was released. The simplest fix (which is only temporary, since it has a tendency to come back again) is to force-quit the Finder with a window open that has wrong icons.

I'm having iChat problems - I get randomly booted offline when I leave my Mac. I wonder if AIM is quitting because of that.

I used to get Safari quits when I was on Panther too. Most of the time, I had no idea what caused them, and trying again usually worked.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
wrldwzrd89 said:
The changing icons is an old bug that's been around ever since Mac OS X 10.3.0 was released. The simplest fix (which is only temporary, since it has a tendency to come back again) is to force-quit the Finder with a window open that has wrong icons.

I'm having iChat problems - I get randomly booted offline when I leave my Mac. I wonder if AIM is quitting because of that.

I used to get Safari quits when I was on Panther too. Most of the time, I had no idea what caused them, and trying again usually worked.

Ok, i'll try those suggestions. Thanks!

Edit: I relaunched the finder with the wrong icons opened and it worked. Thanks for the tip. I'm also going to repair permissions while i'm here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.