Problems with Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 6mt15, Feb 1, 2008.

1. 6mt15 macrumors member

I had windows xp installed through boot camp, and recently installed Parallels, using the bootcamp partition as my virtual machine. The first time I started it up, it worked perfectly, but after shuting it down once, I was unable to restart it. The virtual machine would start up, play the little welcome to the windows desktop chimes, and then the cursor turned to the pinwheel of death, and never came out of it.
    After a few tries, I wiped the virtual machine and partition, and created a new virtual machine on my Mac OS X partition, hoping a clean install would solve the problem. After a clean install, once again, the first time it started up, everything ran perfectly, but every subsequent startup resulted in the spinning pinwheel of death.
    Any ideas what the problem could be?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

4. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Did you get the trial version or did you get the full?

Edit: Wait, do you have 2 virtual's?

5. 6mt15 thread starter macrumors member

I have the full version, and only the one virtual machine. I downloaded the trial of Fsion, and it has been working beautifully. Score one for VMware...too bad parallels already has my money.

6. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I had an unfortunate experience with Parallels myself. It never did work on my MBP. Couldn't even get it installed. On one occasion I had to reset the PMU to get the MBP to reboot.

My e-mails to Parallels tech support were successfully ignored for ... well, forever. This lead to an interesting discussion with the Parallels folks at the 2007 Macworld, which wound up drawing a small crowd. They promised my money back but the $ never did materialize.

Fusion worked the first time and every time since. If it's slower, I don't care ... it works.

My 2 cents.

7. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Hmm... So the Fsion beats Parallels, have you tried contacting Parallels?

8. amgems macrumors newbie

amgems

parallels crashes or goes infinite -- support not very good

I have several 'support' tickets for parallels. It is such a massive pain to open a support ticket, there is an overwhelming tendency to avoid doing so.

One support ticket is for a crash. One is for it repeatedly becoming unresponsive.

Currently, the response to the crash (a bus error with full stack trace sent to them) is to turn off power saving, and have my discs never spin down. This is supposed to fix a parallels desktop disc compression session that resulted in the parallels desktop application getting a bus error. It seems to do this every time I have tried to do the compression: once it failed with an error to do the compression because I had some snapshots, but it crashed at the completion, the second time, after manually deleting all the snapshots (why does this take so long?) it did run for a long time, and crashed in the same manner at the completion. Right. Turn off power saving and that will fix it.

The parallels official response to it becoming unresponsive was for me to manually delete any saved state of the current VM (there was none, actually) and restarting. I have sent them dtrace samples of the thing when it becomes unresponsive. It is never acceptable to toss VM state to recover from a flawed simulator. I am sorry.

They consistently refuse to believe there is actually a problem.

It seems to be that they want to do a windoze-type solution of 'just reset it and we hope you do not see this problem again' rather than taking the opportunity of passing the problem descriptions along to the developers who one would hope would be interested in finding and fixing any problems.

I have both parallels and VMware fusion. I recently swapped back to using parallels because supposedly it did better than VMware in performance.

I am about to swap back to VMware, as I did not have the impression that their support sucked badly mainly because I had no occasion to contact support.

Press reports that claim one is better than the other miss the important fact of basic reliability coupled with a basic desire to improve the product by encouraging detailed bug submissions and not harassing customers that do report bugs with useless suggestions.

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yes "stability & support"

10. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271