Problems with picture quality in iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superspiffy, Aug 18, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

When I pan and zoom slideshows using iMovie HD 06 the pictures become distorted in a... interlacing sort of way... can't really describe it but the details of the picture starts to go and I see flickering. I'm using a Sony DSLR, set on high res so I know it's not the camera or the quality. I've tried watching the movie on two TVs. An HD widescreen and an old SD TV but I see the flickering on both. This is really bugging me because I can't see the pictures in their full quality. Anybody's having this problem?

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Is this a problem after you've encoded the movie? I had this same problem when exporting my iMove to H.264. To fix it I did the following when "sharing" my movie:

1. Share menu --> Share
    2. Compress movie for Expert Settings
    3. Click Share, specify name and location
    4. Export: Movie to Quicktime
    5. Options --> Size --> Deinterlace Source Video

This removed the interlacing on my footage from my Sony miniDV handicam. You may need to tweak some of the other settings in there to get it to the size / resolution you are looking for.

3. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

No. Now I notice this actually happens when I preview the slideshow on iMovie. Even when viewing it through iMovie, the flickering or interlacing problems still happen. Now I wonder if this is just how iMovie treats photos. Can I do anything to work may around this? Like converting the photos to some other format before importing them to iMovie?

4. Ranchdip macrumors member

I'm seeing the same things. After rendering I'm seeing tons of artifacts in the video I didn't see in the raw footage or project. It looks like some heavy pixalating going on on some transitions. The transistions aren't smooth to me after rendering in iMovie08.