Problems with powering the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joe.beresford18, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Joe.beresford18 macrumors newbie

I purchased my 16GB iphone 3G a few days ago, much to my delight, but sadly I am having numerous problems with it.

One such problem is that the phone refuses to power up or display the battery powering icon on the screen when connected to a power socket on the wall. I have left the phone over night and the battery hadn't charged one bit. When connected to the wall, the phone simply displays my background image and does not switch to the powering up icon, nor does it make the little sound to indicate it is charging.

When plugged into itunes on my macbook pro however the phone seems to charge

Another problem i have is the iPod seems to freeze on me on random albums and i have to turn the phone off and restart each time.

The final problem is the sensor which turns the screen off. When answering a call, the display remains on and through the duration of a call, meaning my face keeps activating the speaker phone, which is most annoying! then when you remove the phone from your face, low and behold the screen is black. You can not get to the controls to activate speaker phone, keypad or conference all options. I also have no ability to end a call as the screen remains black for about 10 seconds after the other person hangs up

Has anyone else had similar problems? Is it worth taking this back into o2 for a swap or refund?

Right now, i am one unhappy iPhone 3G customer!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It seems to have a problem charging without having a data signal and it sounds like proximity sensor is not working.

Before doing anything rash, use iTunes to restore the software. Test it. If you are still having problems, do what you need to swap it.

TEG

3. Joe.beresford18 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already did the restore this afternoon, with no avail. I dont understand why it charges via itunes on my laptop but not via the wall with the adaptor found it the box. it doesnt work with the adaptor from the original iphone either, very strange

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

As I said, it is a problem because it is looking for the two data lines on the USB not the two power lines on the USB. So it will charge over computer USB (which as the data signals) but not over the power adapters (as it lacks any data lines).

TEG

5. hondje macrumors member

Hi Joe,

I was having the same problems with my 16GB iPhone 3G. I had done numerous restores. I too was able to charge via the computer or car charger. My USB cable was good. The problem? the wall unit. Today I went to the Apple Store in Denver. I got there a little before they technically opened. They are STILL opening at 8:00 a.m. to sell the new phone! I talked to an Apple rep. outside the door and asked when they really opened. He then asked me the issue. Told him. He took the old plug went in and swapped it. No transaction. Now my shiny new phone charges fine on the wall. A huge blessing. Definitely go to the Apple Store and just ask for a new plug. Simple as that!

6. Joe.beresford18 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help,

I will take the phone back tomorrow morning and get it swapped, though now i'm tempted to stay with the original iphone and save the money....

7. richiepad11 macrumors member

richiepad11

my problem is actuallly switch around. My iphone charges perfectly via wall but when i plug it in to my itunes it will only charge for like a couple minutes and then stop. i went to the apple store and i guess they fixed it or it maybe my iphone dock is messed up. well im doing a restore at the moment and see if it is the dock which is the issue. has anyone had this problem>?