Problems with properly displaying folder names in iTunes

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by underwaterboy10, Nov 13, 2010.

1. underwaterboy10 macrumors newbie

I hav Windows 7 64-bit running through BootCamp on my MacBook Pro (purchased Sept. 2010) and iTunes installed on both partitions with read/write access to both sides via MacDrive and NTFS-3G. I hav both iTunes pointed to my media library on my Mac side.

So here's the problem:
    My songs show the names and info properly IN iTunes but when I go the individual folders in the iTunes directory folder, the artist and album folder names are not properly named. After reading about it online, I know now that certain characters (eg periods and slashes) are problematic in folder names and are replaced by underscores. That I can live with.

But the artist and album folders with Asian characters in them do not show at all on my Windows side but are replaced by underscores (so now, I have folders that are named __, ___, and ____). The funny thing is that on my Mac side, the folder names are displayed properly with their Asian characters. What is going on here? It's not that I can't display the Asian characters normally in Windows (I can successfully create an Asian titled folder on my desktop).

When I try to rename them with Asian characters on my Windows side, it gives me an error like "The file or folder does not exist". Can someone pls explain what the problem is here and what I can do to fix it?

2. balamw, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Most likely the drivers you are using do not fully support Unicode, or the Asian characters are encoded differently. Check with Mediafour or Tuxera what level of support is expected.

EDIT: The Apple read only drivers don't display this problem. Here's the Asian section of the iTunes library on my MacBook as seen from my HFS+ partition in Windows 7.

B

Attached Files:

• CJK.bmp
      File size:
      173.7 KB
      Views:
  3. underwaterboy10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. I emailed MediaFour Support and they just had me change a setting in MacDrive's Options and it solved the problem right quick. :D

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you post which setting it is here so anyone with the same problem doesn't have to go to MediaFour?

B

5. underwaterboy10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure.

1) Open MacDrive properties (click MacDrive taskbar notification icon).
    2) Click on "Options" tab.
    3) Select "International use" under File Names.

6. underwaterboy10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi. I also have a related issue: When I have albums with longer-than-average names, iTunes on my Windows partition automatically truncates the album folder name. But iTunes on my Mac side is fine with having the full length of the album folder name.

I'm pretty sure it's not a purely Windows issue as I am able to create a new folder on my desktop with the exact same name without the automatic truncation. So it seems like it's particular to iTunes.

Can someone tell me if there is something I can do to prevent this? It's a pain because Mac iTunes puts the song files in the album folders with the full name but whenever I switch OS's, Windows iTunes creates a NEW album folder with the truncated name and moves all the songs there. And when I switch to Mac, iTunes moves them back to the full-name folder.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

PS I know I could always set my Windows iTunes to NOT manage and organize my music files but I would like to avoid this if possible. I really like the option of being able to add/modify my song collection from either OS.