Problems with purchase computer; how to confront seller

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alphaod, Sep 5, 2008.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Anyways, I got a PB G4. And to my amazement the battery has ZERO cycles and it's at 100% health.

Now the issues:
    The computer has liquid residue, and the seller says they buy and resell, so they didn't know. I found the residue because I disassembled the whole computer. I also found dents that the seller failed to mention. They are not real dents, but rather aluminum deformations. Nonetheless, it's not as described. He asks what I want. I don't want to return it. How should I resolve this? Ask for money?

2. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

pics? If it works fine try getting 10-20% back

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Maybe a good course of action.

Residue issue would be different than the deformations when looking at an adjustment.

5. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Start negotiating at 25%, so at least you'll have a fighting chance to get at least half that back. Good luck.

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Is this a business or just somebody on eBay or similar? By aluminum deformation, what do you mean... like bending (pics might help)? If you don't want to return it, keep it if it runs decently. I'm not exactly sure of what you should do, as there's no way he would have known about internal liquid residue, and if I interpret "aluminum deformations" correctly, I've found such a physical deformation can be hard to detect. Either way, I'm not sure it's entirely his fault, but as the reseller he sold you a product that was not to true your idea of how it would be. It's really up to you, but as long as it isn't so beat up as to be unlike the description provided (keep in mind the margin for error here) I wouldn't ask for some kind of compensation, though if the machine in question died on me in a short amount of time after the transaction I would then request some form of compensation for my faulty machine.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What's internal residue?

Anyway, if there's nothing wrong, and it looks good with no visible physical damage, I wouldn't do a thing. If this "internal residue" is a really big deal, then ask for something back, but I want to see photos. ;)

8. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

First this weird tag:
    [​IMG]

Came in this:
    [​IMG]

Liquid residue; looks like it was Coke or something:
    [​IMG]

On keyboard too:
    [​IMG]

This is hard to see, but the HDD bracket screw (black one) is messed up:
    [​IMG]

Obvious dent:
    [​IMG]

I want to point out, I've cleaned everything and tried to fix all the dents as much as I can, but the last one I can't fix. It just wasn't as well as the description said (Some minor scratches due to wear and tear…). And the bag and tag are just weird.

And thanks… I'll be contacting the seller along with some pictures. And it was one ebay, but it was a legitimate company.

9. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

10. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd prefer not too. I don't want to go through that hassle and plus I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to get another machine.

11. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

12. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

decide what you want to do, then take action on that plan.

venting on mr will garner you some sympathy, but won't help you with whatever it is that you want to do

13. gonyr macrumors 6502

I think your best bet is to make the dent your major concern when dealing with the seller. It's pretty obvious, and there's no way they could have not noticed it. Like someone already suggested, ask for a portion of your money back, as long as the machine is functioning to your satisfaction. Ask for more than you expect to get, to give yourself some negotiating room.