Problems with QT and VLC playing WMV.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xkRoWx, Feb 10, 2009.

1. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

Not quite sure where to post this, but I have a .wmv movie file which doesn't properly play in either QuickTime and VLC player.

QuickTime plays the movie with no video, only emitting the sound, while VLC plays the video and not the sound.

I've tried using VisualHub to convert the .wmv to .mp4 for iTunes. I synched the file to iTunes and it only plays the video.

Any fixes?

PS: By the way, what applications out there allows me to extract/record the song from the movie file without losing audio quality?

Thanks in advance.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like a codec issue, in both QT and VLC, although different codecs are missing in each program.

To fix QT playback, install Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian. Can't help with VLC as I no longer use it.

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

I'd recommend searching MacUpdate for audio editing software.

Also, search for Perian. It's a great little System Preference. It'll allow all of your applications to access the latest codecs for video playback and what not.

To extract audio from a movie, I use Quicktime. I think it's only for Quicktime Pro, so make sure you have it.

You first want to load the movie, and make sure audio is there. Under the File Menu, select "Export...". From here you can export it as an AIFF format. This format is uncompressed. From here you can go back into Quicktime Pro and edit it to what you want, or use another audio editor.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you have the Flip4Mac QuickTime codec installed, then you have done all that you can do to play .wmv content on your Mac. However, neither Flip4Mac-enabled QuickTime nor VLC can play any version of WMV higher than non-DRMed WMV 9. Nothing on the Mac plays DRMed WMV. Nothing on the Mac plays WMV 10 or WMV 11.

Before some wingnut chimes in claiming that VLC plays WMV10, let me put that one to rest. Yes it does--on Windows. VLC:win has access to the Microsoft frameworks that are part of Windows. That is how it plays the higher versions on WMV content. However, Microsoft's Windows frameworks are not a part of MacOS X. Without them, nothing higher than WMV 9 can be handled.