Problems with Reachability

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by danmwall, Feb 9, 2010.

1. danmwall macrumors newbie

I know there are other threads on this, but I just can't get this working. I need to check to see if a device has an internet connection, so I am using the Reachability code from the Apple sample.

I imported Reachability.h and .m into my project and now I am trying to execute the following code:

Code:
    	Reachability *r = [[Reachability reachabilityForInternetConnection] retain];

NetworkStatus internetStatus = [r currentReachabilityStatus];

if ((internetStatus != ReachableViaWiFi) && (internetStatus != ReachableViaWWAN))
    	{
    		UIAlertView *myAlert = [[UIAlertView alloc] initWithTitle:@"No Internet Connection" message:@"You require an internet connection via WiFi or cellular network for location finding to work." delegate:self cancelButtonTitle:@"Ok" otherButtonTitles:nil];
    		[myAlert show];
    		[myAlert release];
    	}

It compiles fine, but I get a run time error when I attempt to execute the first line. Here is the error:

Can someone PLEASE help me!! :eek:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You are sending the Class Reachability the message reachabilityForInternetConnection. I'm pretty sure that is wrong, especially as you then try and retain the result.

Re-read on the difference between class and instance methods.

3. danmwall thread starter macrumors newbie

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

5. danmwall thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I figured this out and I really don't understand what happened. I noticed there was a warning right in the middle of a block of comments. I deleted the comments, and now all is well! Go figure!