Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
I have OSX, XP, and Vista all on separate internal drives. I downloaded and installed rEFIt. Although it installed on the root of my OSX drive it didn't show up on a reboot. I did a manual install (by typing cd /efi/refit
./enable.sh in the console window). It now works but both of my Windows disk show the same icon. In the online notes it says that there is an icon for Vista (win_vista.icn - or something similar) and to add the icon to the rEFIt folder. Well I can't find the icon anywhere.
Does anyone know how to get the XP and Vista icons to show up properly instead of the generic Windows icons?
Also to remove rEFIt it says to select the OSX disk in Start Up Disk under System Preferences and remove the rEFIt folder from the root of OSX. However OSX is the start up disk. Is there supposed to be a rEFIt disk in System Preferences set as a start up that you have to deselect?
Thanks
Alan

macffooky

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
The 51st State
When you installed rEFIt it was placed in a directory named 'efi' in your OS X drive's root directory (the one that's named Macintosh HD by default) and it's this little folder that you need to delete.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
So why would the instructions on their website say - first click on OSX disk as the startup disk then delete the folder. In my start up options it has OSX, XP and Network (and OSX is the start up disk). I was expecting to see that rEVIt wad been added as the boot drive (thus intercepting the boot sequence to give you the boot option screen.
I'm still confused.
Alan

macffooky

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
The 51st State
So why would the instructions on their website say - first click on OSX disk as the startup disk then delete the folder. In my start up options it has OSX, XP and Network (and OSX is the start up disk).
To make sure that the correct default OS is already selected when you next reboot after whacking rEFIt.

iPhone 3.0!!!

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
I installed rEFIt with OSX, Windows 7, and ubuntu. But whenever i try to boot from windows or ubuntu it just shows a black screen with a little flashing line in the top left corner

HELP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.