Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
My iPad and iPhone never pair with my apple tv2 unless I unplug the atv and plug it back in. This annoying to do every time I use it. Any ideas what could be wrong. i am using a zyxel router.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
sounds like it might be a DHCP lease issue, but there really not enough information here to tell.

I would look at the network status page on the ATV2 before and after you reboot it and see what differs

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks. I have assigned all my devices ip addresses, otherwise the apple devices get horrible network speeds. What should I be looking for?

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I would get a new router if I new one that would definitely work. Unfortunately, apple devices are so damn picky.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Yes I assigned the ip address manually on the device and router. There is no difference in the network info when it's working and when it's not. Are there any ports I might need to manually open.

El Aurens

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2010
London, Ontario, Canada
I had the same problem with my ISP provider's router. I bought a refurb Time Capsule that has the same wifi setup as the Airport Exreme, everything works great with home sharing and AirPlay. Have an iPad, iPhone 4, iMac and ATV2 hooked up.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I thought about doing that but I read too many stories about the airport not working well. Plus that router is a rip off. Any other options.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks. I have assigned all my devices ip addresses, otherwise the apple devices get horrible network speeds.

I f connecting via DHCP and connecting via static IP offer vastly differing levels of performance there's something deeply wrong somewhere. Once the devices have established a network connection, the nature of IP allocation becomes irrelevant.

I'd have to wonder whether the link is being constantly lost. Since DHCP will take a few moments longer to recover from the link drop, it would appear that DHCP is performing worse, when in fact everything is performing badly.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I do lose my connection on occasion. I have to have all devices in my house on static ip's just so my idevices work. For example, if my pc does not have a static ip it will work fine but the I devices will get very slow download speeds and the apple tv stutters while playing Netflix.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks. I'm looking now. I can't take this anymore. Just want my stuff to work.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I spent hours looking at routers and everyone has people saying the idevices have problems. WTF is up with Apple. Ever since the iphone 3GS wireless on Apple devices has been a nightmare. I don't want to spend $130 on a router and have the same problem.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
I spent hours looking at routers and everyone has people saying the idevices have problems. WTF is up with Apple. Ever since the iphone 3GS wireless on Apple devices has been a nightmare. I don't want to spend $130 on a router and have the same problem.

It's really simple... Provided the devices are all on the same subnet everything works fine. The problem is many users get a regular router 1st ... Discover wifi at a later date and then add a wifi router to the mix.

So what usually happens is this:

Wired devices: 192.168.1.2 -> 192.168.1.254
Wifi devices: 10.0.0.2 -> 10.0.0.254

If this happens the AirPlay tech will not work

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
agreed.

I have *never* purchased a router with any consideration of whether it will work with iDevices. I just take it home and expect it to work. I've never been let down.

I've only ever encountered *one* router that didn't like Apple stuff (it didn't like Macs either), and that was a crappy thing my parents got with their internet. Moreover they were forced into a specific configuration, whereas I imagine with a few minutes of fiddling I'd have found some combination of security settings that the Apple stuff was happy with.

IME misconfiguration is nearly always the problem.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
It's really simple... Provided the devices are all on the same subnet everything works fine. The problem is many users get a regular router 1st ... Discover wifi at a later date and then add a wifi router to the mix.

So what usually happens is this:

Wired devices: 192.168.1.2 -> 192.168.1.254
Wifi devices: 10.0.0.2 -> 10.0.0.254

If this happens the AirPlay tech will not work

This is not what happened to me. I think I'm going to give vizio's dual band router a try. It's only $60 and the reviews are just as good as any other router on amazon.

How should ime be configured?

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I ordered the vizio router for $57 from amazon. It gets good reviews including from cnet so I hope it fixes my problems. I will update when get it running. Thanks for the comments everyone.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
Is there allot of wifi around your house? Like do you see 10 or more networks in your range? You could be getting interference. 2.4 ghz cordless phones cause problems too.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
My vizio router came in and I was able to get it setup and working in a matter of minutes. Airplay is working perfect so far but I haven't had a chance to really test it. So far my ipad and iphone have connected without resetting the apple tv. I am running the router as a dual band with my computers and apple tv on the 5 ghz N band (I didn't realize that apple tv had this capability) and my idevices on the 2.4ghz N band. Despite being different channels connecting through separate network names the remote and airplay work well. The only thing on the G band is my webcam. I am impressed with this router. It is easy to use and is very customizable. It also works seemlessly with my idevices. Very happy for $57. I hope this helps someone in the future and thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Here is a link to the router in case anyone else has similar issues.
http://www.amazon.com/XWR100-Dual-B...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1300760374&sr=8-1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.