Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuff99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Hi, I just got the new macbook and I seem to have trouble renaming my files by slowly double clicking the file.

I have an iMac at home and work and a Powerbook so i'm by no means new to osx and I know that you can click the file under finder and change its name.

But with my macbook it seems like I can only do that when i go to the files "get info" option and change its name that way instead of slowly double clicking the file and renaming it.

When I do so, it just opens the file instead.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

davidleon

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Trackpad -> Double-Click Speed

DLH

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
argh its not working!
:(

What's happening? If it's actually opening the file, then you need to wait longer before the second click.

It's not really a double-click. If you click the name area of any "currently selected file", it should switch the name area to text editing mode. So, one single-click to select the file, wait longer than the double-click interval and single-click a second time.

You can also single-click to select the file and then press the return key to edit the file name.

-dlh

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
If you're getting the contextual popup menu it means you're somehow activating a right click type click instead of a left click (using terms you might be familiar with if you're a new OS X switcher coming from MS Windows). Anyway, if for some reason you can't get it to rename the way you're doing it, there are a bunch of other ways to do it.

1) as long as the get info window is popping up anyway, you can edit the name in the "name & extension" section of that window. (if you can't see the name of the file there then you may need to first turn down that little grey triangle next to where it says "name & extension")

or

2) when a file is selected, just hit the the enter button on the keyboard.

and there are more, but number 2 is really the easiest.

Anyway, to get the click to rename feature to work, let me just tell you how to do it in case you're not quite doing it right. Click once on the file to select it and fully let go of the mouse button. Let a second pass and then do the same thing, click and fully release on the mouse button.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I have to agree with motulist on this- just clicking to select and hitting "enter" pretty well made the double click thing obsolete when I discovered that. No muss, no fuss and more importantly no accidentally opened files/apps from clicking again too soon!

stuff99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
yah like i said i use an imac at work and at home and had a powerbook for a few years now.

just dont know why that feature doesnt work on my macbook

bertyg

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
renaming files!!!!!

I am so frustrated and cannot find an answer to this. Sometimes, I can click on a file and rename it - other times - I can't get it to allow me to access the change mode??? I've only had this MacBook since January and have almost nothing on it. I've tried the return, right click, SLOW double click and just don't know what to do. These are Word documents. I'm new to MAC and NOT thrilled as I'm not finding it intuitive.

Am trying to plough through the learning process, but occasionally have to go back to my OLD lap top.

NOT a good sign.

THANKS for any insights.

wannamobiles

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
solution to the rename doule click

change the speed of the double click to be faster than your current setting.
System Preferences>Trackpad>Double-Click Speed> then adjust the speed by drag the bar to adjust how fast you want it to be.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.