Problems with Repaired 13" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, May 16, 2010.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I just got my 13" Macbook Pro back from the Apple Store, where they replace a faulty logic board. Ever since this happened, the computer has been beachballing, lagging, and has some problems.

1. I cannot change my account from Standard to Admin. When System Preferences asked for an admin password, I gave my root. The weird thing is, when I click on the box to Allow This Account to Administer This Computer, my check mark goes away and a sheet appears telling me that I need to restart my computer to apply this change. For some weird reason, it doesn't change when I restart.

2. Software Update doesn't work, as in it won't install. I typed my root password in and let Software Update check and download updates. When it tells me that I will have to restart my computer after installing this, I click okay. The license agreements pop up, and I agree to all of them. Then, they disappear, leaving the window that asks me if I want to restart. I have to download my updates manually, which is a pain.

3. The computer lags. While I am typing this, the beachball appears for five or ten seconds at intermittent intervals.

4. The graphics seem to be a little laggy, as well. I checked in System Profiler and the card is confirmed to be a 9400M GT, and my processor has been confirmed to be an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz with 3 MB L2 cache.

5. When I am typing or surfing plain text internet, the body of the computer gets rather hot, but the fan doesn't spin up. It just sits there at 2001 RPM.

6. This is weird, but with the system at 98% idle and only Safari open, the battery life is dropping life crazy.

Can any of these problems be caused by replacing the logic board?

2. gr3chan macrumors newbie

gr3chan

What was the original problem/symptoms with your computer that made them replace the logic board? It is possible that your original problem with the logic board could have corrupted your OS, if the original problem was random shutdowns or freezing. The symptoms that you have listed do sound like Operating System corruption rather than a hardware problem. I would suggest finding the original disks that came in the box with your computer, and trying to reinstall the OS. If you attempt the OS installation and that does not take care of the problem, you may want to return to the where you got it repaired and have them look at it again. It is not out of the realm of possibilities that the replacement board was faulty.