Problems with restoring using Winclone

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SpookTheHamster, Nov 16, 2009.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I made a Winclone image of my Boot Camp partition before upgrading my hard drive, and now I've come to restore the image to a new partition I get the following error:

"Invalid Image: MBR Not Found"

I get the same error whether I create the partition using Boot Camp Assistant or using Winclone.

Anyone had this error before or know the cause?

2. Richard Marklew macrumors newbie

If you are using Snow Leopard, Winclone has big problems with it. I had the same error with Win 7. Unable to restore or even mount the winclone image.

Richard

3. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Not using Snow Leopard but am using Win7, perhaps the issue is with that?

edit: Are you getting the same error? I decided to see if there was another way to mount the image. If you right click on it and choose "Show Package Contents" a folder will open containing the disk image as well as some other files. Can you mount the .dmg file in that folder? Also, please can you post the contents of the file called boot.mbr (it opens with Textedit)

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Hmm. That's not good. Looks like you already posted on the Winclone forum though... That's all I was going to suggest.

B

5. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

My experience

There is a version 2.2 of Winclone that supports SL.

Anyway I screwed up my Vmware Fusion v3.0 and my virtual machine loading of XP on Bootcamp. This is SL on my 17" uMBP. So I ran a Winclone copy of BootCamp Xp to the internal 500 GB hard drive. Then cloned the SL OSX to an external drive.
    Being ultra conserative, I swapped internal hard drives and then went in and deleted the BootCamp windows partition, repartitioned using BC Assistant, and used Winclone to restore the partition. Everything worked great and I resolved my VMware Fusion problem. I then repeated the process on the original hard drive. All is good.

My point is that Winclone worked for me (once again).

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Even though SL is supported in 2.2 still has trouble with compressed mountable images under SL, check the winclone forums for further evidence of that.

B

7. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

Yes. That is why I did it twice, once on a cloned drive and once for real. The Winclone compressed image in my case was 43 GB restoring to a 120 GB partition.

Neil