Problems with ripping DVD's with Handbrake

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by miketaylor627, Jul 17, 2009.

1. miketaylor627 macrumors newbie

I have the latest version of Handbrake. The first several home movies I ripped I was able to add to iMovie without a hitch. Now after I rip the movie, it goes to the desktop, but then it is ghosted out when I try to import it into iMovie. One question I have is,

"If the ripped movie has more than one 'chapter' will this cause a problem?"

Another question I have is,

"If the ripped movie is quite long will it hinder Handbrake from formatting it properly?"

A third question I have is,

"Is Handbrake the best program for ripping DVD's?"

Someone please help me.

2. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

If you are using a Mac, I would recommend paying 18.99 and getting Rip it http://ripitapp.com/ I have found that this is the most reliable ripper out there in my humble experience. You can also get free Mac the Ripper, I have had issues with certain DVDs not being able to rip. Once ripped, open the Video_ts folder using Handbreak.

3. miketaylor627 thread starter macrumors newbie

I may have resolved my issue to a degree. When I rip the DVD using Handbrake iMovie will not recognize straight off. But if I import into iPhoto, iMovie will pick it up and allow me to import it. Its an extra step but it works.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Handbrake is not the tool you want to use for this as it doesn't create any formats designed for editing. Grab MPEGStreamclip (it's free) and transcode the DVDs into DV NTSC or DV PAL (depending on what part of the world you live in).

Lethal