Problems with ripping software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pharista, Dec 30, 2009.

1. pharista macrumors newbie

I've been using Mac the ripper & Popcorn to back up the DVD's in my collection. Recently however Mac the Ripper gives me a Bad Sectors message at the end of every DVD ripped.

The message states:
    "This disc has bad sectors. All though the rip is complete, the rip may not playback. Please check prior to Burning"

Sure enough when I use Popcorn go to burn it I get another message that states:
    An error has occurred recompressing the video

I know its not the DVD's because I still have my previous Mac (20") and it rips the same DVD without bad sector message above.

I'm pretty sure its not the burner because the other DVD's I have ripped using my previous Mac (which are on external drive) I can burn on my current Mac using popcorn and they work perfectly

The only thing I can think of is that it is either Mac the Ripper or something that Mac the Ripper uses that may be damaged or missing. I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the ripping process.

Any suggestions?

2. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Uninstall the program then reinstall it! Pretty simple!

3. pharista thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...I've never actually uninstalled anything on a Mac. On a PC programs have an uninstall program so that shared files aren't deleted. I can't find an Uninstall for Mac the Ripper - is it just a matter of deleting it? or is this not recommended?

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

You just delete the app file in the Applications folder.

5. littleb2005 macrumors member

6. pharista thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just used the app cleaner to uninstal Mac the Ripper and then reinstalled it. Unfortunately I still have the same problem.

The same messages are coming up:

The Mac the Ripper message states:
    "This disc has bad sectors. All though the rip is complete, the rip may not playback. Please check prior to Burning"

And Popcorn is still giving me the message:
    An error has occurred recompressing the video

I'm at a loss as to how to solve this problem. I can't imagine its a hardware problem because I am able to burn previously ripped files using popcorn and they all work perfectly well.

Any ideas?

7. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

It could still be a problem with your newer DVD drive (reading the disk, not the burning phase). The fellows at the forum for MTR are always criticizing the built-in drives used by Apple. The brand (their emphasis) is MitSHITa (the parent company to Panasonic).