Problems with Safari and certain websites

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tcrestodina, Jan 31, 2008.

1. tcrestodina macrumors newbie

I am in Poland, and I use a black macbook on a wireless home network through a negtgear WGR614v6 router. I am having big problems connecting to certain web sites, particularly in the states: pictures and javascript in yahoo won't load correctly, hp won't load at all, and now I can't connect to the iTunes store. Also, Mail has trouble connecting to my POP account at yahoo, but sometimes it seems to work. I get error messages, but eventually it gets my mail.

The problem seems to change by the day, with some sites loading better at certain times. I don't get it. Changing browsers doesn't help, and I recently reduced my MTU setting from 1500 to 1300. Anybody have any ideas?

2. VMAn macrumors newbie

I had problems loading certain websites when I first got my MB, and after much tinkering found it was indeed the MTU settings. I had to drop mine on the router to 1400, and also within OSX.

Someone on here gave me the tip to open up Script Editor and enter & run the following:

do shell script "ifconfig en1 mtu 1400" with administrator privileges

You can change the 1400 to whatever you need to go down to. *BUT* once you've run this line, then you need to put the MB to sleep wait a few seconds (until the white light glows on and off) and then open the MB back up and hey presto it works! (at least it did for me!)

3. hitmann macrumors newbie

VMAn, simply put. I love you.

I've been dealing with shotty internet, and horrible wifi for nearly a month now. No access to flickr/yahoo/facebook/or any of my other forums. Right after i opened this up, i tried it, and it worked beautifully.

Any insight as to how it happened?